Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Info on Krause coin #'s

I am trying to locate information of some world coins by Krause #. I can't seem to find some coins I own in the Krause catalogs. Is there any contact info available for Krause or another numismatic organization that can provide information on modern world coins (ie. 1990 - 2009)?

For example Km#969 - is this number even valid?

Any info on how to find mintage data, etc that is not listed in the Krause catalog?
HJP

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

From my experience with Krause, the KM numbers are repeated with each country & denomination or monarch. So your KM969 could be from any country that had lots of changes in denomination and/or monarchs.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

kM#969 - what specific country?

I believe that the Catalogers left some space in between numbers here and there for likely new issues.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, over time, the numbers for a specific coin have been changed. Sometimes they note the former # but in subsequent updates, this is often left out so only the newest # is shown. Additionally, I have come across cases where an entire group of coins listed in an old edition has been left out of a newer addition. :( It is still the best source of basic info on world coins in general.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you give us some examples of coins you can't find, we might be able to explian the reasons. I can think of several:

• The coins are still "too new", none of Krause's team of experts and reporters has seen the coin and documented it.
    • The "coins" are not official coins from an officially recognized country, so they are listed in the "Unusual World Coins" book rather than the mainstream catalogue.
    • The coins are listed under another country name.

As others have noted, each country in Krause has it's own numbering system. Most countries have "KM" numbers which were invented by and for the Krause catalogues; some countries (such as China and Russia) Krause still uses the older Craig (C) and Yeoman (Y) numbering system. Krause numbers generally do not change once assigned (at least, they don't change anywhere near as often as the Pick numbers for banknotes do). Krause numbers rally only changed when the Krause catalogues pushed back a couple of centuries, or when Krause eventually got around to replacing the C/Y numbers with KM numbers.

As for mintages, I think you'll find that the general rule is that if Krause doesn't know, then nobody else knows either. Some countries simply don't publish mintage figures for their coins, or they publish them in a format that is useless to a collector (eg. they publish financial year production numbers that are impossible to break down into calendar years).

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)