Home Sports Talk
Options

World Series Game #1

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2019 7:27PM in Sports Talk

Watching Gerrit Cole getting taken to the wood shed ... Juan Soto is dictating...@ 20 years old. The Kid is Hot Tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaHnRqUdzA

Comments

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Should have been investing in this kid all along versus Acuna. Oh well.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good game....GO NAT'S !!!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019 1:51AM

Does anyone know what day I can pick up my free taco for the stolen base last night? Since my wife doesn't care for Taco Bell, I get her taco also. I get two free tacos, and I plan on collecting.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Does anyone know what day I can pick up my free taco for the stolen base last night? Since my wife doesn't care for Taco Bell, I get her taco also. I get two free tacos, and I plan on collecting.

I didn't know you could get one for someone else. I could go in and say I wanted one for my whole family?

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soto is superhuman and dang only 20. Go Nationals.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2019 8:02AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

I didn't know you could get one for someone else. I could go in and say I wanted one for my whole family?

My plan is to have her with me, and she can stand in line with me and get her taco before I do. Then she can give me her taco. It should also be mentioned that it is a Doritos Loco taco. Well worth the trouble.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2019 10:11AM

@MLBdays said:
    @artee.....I think those two are both HOF worthy choices....

Ugh. I dont know. Just fielding all the calls last night and today from collecting buddies saying what a fool I was by being a Acuna supercollector was depressing.

I mean, this kid took Gerrit Cole opposite field to the train tracks!

Then just about knocked the fence over at his next at bat with a double.

Then a lousy single and just a trip away from the cycle. At age 20.

But at least Soto got my entire family a taco, too!

Maybe Acuna will share some couch space and let us come over and watch the rest of the games?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Springer put a "hurt" on his Team when he hot-dogged down the first base line on a double that he thought was an HR. he should have been standing on third, but he probably enjoyed doing his little bunny-hop down the line till his sphincter tightened as the ball stayed in the park.

that hit by Soto was awesome and shocked not only Gerrit Cole but Michael Brantley, he mis-played it badly.

• Options

Verlander goin' down, hard to feel bad for him and his attitude.

the Astros seem tight, like the game is too big for them which is sort of weird. their experience appeared to be an asset but now the Nats are playing like the better Team. Altuve and Correa are the only Astros that seem to be playing good.

• Options

Houston we have a problem. :):):) .....and I love it! B)

• Options

Astro's hadn't intentionally walked ANYBODY all year long.

Until tonight.

And it wasn't Acuna.

• Options

Go Nationals!!! :)

• Options
    edited October 23, 2019 10:20PM

Tony two-bags came up big to knock in those first two runs. Which was yuge.

Kinda got lost in the shuffle with those other 10 runs. Homers from Los Viejos, Suzuki & Eaton? Wow. Even the other young buck off the bench, Michael A. Taylor got in on the action with a dinger.

Soto getting that IBB though says all you need to know about just how good this kid really is. Good thing he turns 21 on Friday, so he can drink that champagne on Saturday.

• Options

it doesn't get any easier for Houston, on to DC where the pitcher has to hit and they'll lose the DH.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - the Nationals sure are getting the last laugh about losing Bryce Harper.

I admit it. :/

• Options
    edited October 24, 2019 6:03AM

@keets said:
    it doesn't get any easier for Houston, on to DC where the pitcher has to hit and they'll lose the DH.

Plus there’s a pretty decent chance of rain on Fri & Sat.

This adds another slight edge to the Nats, imo.

Don’t think the Astros have had a rained out home game or a slippery field ever?

• Options

I'm still waiting for the Astros "potent" line-up to raise its head. now that Gerrit Cole has been proven human and Justin Verlander has reassured us that, no, he cannot win a WS game, the sledding gets tough and I don't think Zack Grienke is the answer. he strikes me as being past his prime and a nice fit for the regular season but not the post-season.

Friday will be a test for Houston, a test that if failed means a quick ending to a WS that looked very promising for them. looking at the Teams "on paper" it's hard to see the Nationals winning, but games need to be played where funny things can happen.

though Washington committed two errors, they didn't really effect the game and seemed to happen in real time. not so for the Houston error by Bregman, things were moving a little too fast and he probably just should have held the ball. that six run inning looks bad "on paper" but the Nats didn't really hammer the ball --- three walks, a sacrifice, an infield single, a wild pitch, another infield single and an error.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2019 8:00AM

Simone Biles was the highlight for the Astros last night.

Verlander did set a record though; he's the first pitcher to ever lose their first 5 World Series decisions, so he's got that going for him.

• Options

I thought all along that the Nationals were a better team. Not a sweep better, but better. But you know what Yogi said...... ;)

The Nat's need 2 more! Go Nat's!!!!

• Options

I'm just enjoying Frank Thomas's million dollar smile on the pre game show. Go get em' big guy.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2019 2:51PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    Simone Biles was the highlight for the Astros last night.

Verlander did set a record though; he's the first pitcher to ever lose their first 5 World Series decisions, so he's got that going for him.

Heard that last night and just looked it up to confirm.

Over 4 different series as well.

• Options

Frank Thomas looks great.

a few years ago we went to Cooperstown to see Jim Thome enshrined, a guy that should make the list of players most people like. to begin the ceremony they introduced the HOF'ers who were there. by strange coincidence, they introduced Randy Johnson followed by Frank Thomas. the guy next to me leaned over and said "Hey, the Big Unit and the Big Hurt" which was quite a funny thing, I think the entire group around us laughed!! :p

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Wow - the Nationals sure are getting the last laugh about losing Bryce Harper.

I admit it. :/

Could be that's what the Nats needed, to lose Harper.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The Nat's look tuff......LOVE IT !!!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of 12,000,000 viewers per game. That is 4% of the US population.

Fox narrowly avoided setting the wrong kind of record for Game 1 of the 2019 World Series between the Washington Nationals and Houston Astros. The network wasn’t as lucky for Game 2.

Wednesday night’s game, in which the Nationals soundly won 12-3 to take a 2-0 lead, drew 11.93 million viewers, the smallest audience ever for a Game 2. That was down 3% from the previous record set in 2012 (12.34 million), when the San Francisco Giants swept away the Detroit Tigers to win their second title in three years. Fox avoided the same distinction for Game 1 on Tuesday by just 3,000 viewers.

In the adults 18-49 demo, Game 2 drew a 2.9 rating, which was down 6% from Tuesday’s Game 1. In total viewers, Fox shed 2% of its Game 1 audience.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Fox narrowly avoided setting the wrong kind of record for Game 1 of the 2019 World Series between the Washington Nationals and Houston Astros. The network wasn’t as lucky for Game 2.

Wednesday night’s game, in which the Nationals soundly won 12-3 to take a 2-0 lead, drew 11.93 million viewers, the smallest audience ever for a Game 2. That was down 3% from the previous record set in 2012 (12.34 million), when the San Francisco Giants swept away the Detroit Tigers to win their second title in three years. Fox avoided the same distinction for Game 1 on Tuesday by just 3,000 viewers.

In the adults 18-49 demo, Game 2 drew a 2.9 rating, which was down 6% from Tuesday’s Game 1. In total viewers, Fox shed 2% of its Game 1 audience.

I have always thought those numbers are not accurate at all. They don't know who watches what. The sample size is minute and skewed.

• Options

skip to a minute or so in, #2.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0mhGmUbr0

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

I was curious as to what the rating #'s would be. No doubt the network was counting on a LA/NY series, or at least one of those two to make it to the classic.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Maybe they should start the games at midnight Pacific time. I could watch the last couple innings in the morning when I get up.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness...what a turnaround.

Nats will still get a good laugh from losing Harper, but if they lose the Series after being up 2-0, they certainly won't be laughing as loud.

• Options

So far it's Home Field Disadvantage! If it holds true........Nat's WIN!!!