Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Beckett grading....

It appears that Beckett has moved away from sub grades. I think you can still get them on 8.5's and higher if you pay $20 per card. With this is mind, will the value of 9's and 9.5's with huge subs increase in value? There are some cards that have no 10's and 10 9.5's, so would 9.5's with two 9.5's and 2 10's escalate more rapidly? Already, if you have a 9.5 that's only .5 away from a 10 would have a near PSA 10 value, maybe be higher depending on the card. What's everyone's thought's?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

crickets

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would assume several of of TPG have some issues, without going into details. But the truth is that the newer cards are getting graded by Beckett. Probably the last 15 years, Beckett has graded just as many cards (I am speaking of 2005 - 2019 cards). So I understand you're not happy, and maybe others aren't but they rank #2 behind PSA in value and grading.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own zero Beckett graded cards and don’t anticipate owning any. I do own several SGC and am about to mail them an important card. I would never sub to Beckett.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I have 95% PSA cards, 3% SGC, and 2% BGS. Prefer PSA for a number of reasons, have some vintage SGC, and a few new BGS rookies. May crossover to PSA at some point.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 6:46PM

I submit cards for both but always choose PSA when I pick up a card that I want to really hold its value. Even in modern cards BGS 9.5s sell for significantly less than their PSA 10 counterparts, almost shockingly so.

I had always attributed a lot of that to the registry phenomenon and set builders driving more money to PSA slabs. However, a good swath of cards that aren't registry eligible or meaningful in any sets still command a huge premium in a PSA slab compared to BGS. Just take a look at any prizm Patrick Mahomes sale in the past year.

I've never been a big fan of sub-grades. While I think it's a nice feature, I think it offers up too much for collectors to over-analyze and it hurts the value of the slab. Also creates a two-class structure of "True 9.5s" (all 4 subs 9.5 or higher) and "Not True 9.5s" (one 9 sub).

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

bulk bgs submissions are $7 (dealer price) and you get no sub grades for this price. So people submitting large numbers of cards will see the non sub grade versions

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submit to BGS only when they are the only TPG who will grade an issue that I want to have encapsulated. If PSA grades an issue, I'm sending it to PSA.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Love BVG cards.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

BCCG is where it’s at for me lol.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

never submitted, but the consensus is that they are not getting away from subgrades. its a cheaper, faster service. bgs collectors love those subgrades and do not speak highly of any card w/o them.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the subgrades, especially the centering. As a seller/collector/investor, if you have a 1984 Steve Young that grades an 8.5 but has 10 centering, it's worth $50 more. If I were them, I would at least keep that sub grade. Or put designate when the centering is mint or better, something.

The 10's make a big difference, a 1991 Upper deck Favre with all 10's sold for $800, a PSA 10 would sale for $30.