Home Q & A Forum

1990-S Proof Error FS-101?

Comments

• SFDSASFDSA Posts: 41 ✭✭

Just found this in a proof roll of Quarters I purchased. Only the Washington head is covered with the silver reflective material. The other areas are not covered as in other cameo proof quarters. What error would be assessed to it if graded?
    Thanks.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 6:40AM

What is "silver reflective material"?

Do you mean frost? Different eras show different levels of frost or mostly none at all. 1990 is well into the frosted proof era, but you can still find variations.

I am not sure it counts as an error but rather poor or incomplete die preparation. If that is how others would view it then it is worth less, not more, than a standard frosted proof.

Also, you said you found it in a roll of proof quarters and don't know what kind of "error" it is. But there is some kind of code on the 2x2. I am confused.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 6:57AM

@SFDSA said:

Hard to tell with the presented pic.

FS 101 is a DDO when authenticated.

http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDO Detail Pages/1990SDDO001.htm

Welcome to the CU forums @SFDSA.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell from the pics if it is a DDO. Can you confirm that it matches the exact diagnostics listed on DoubledDie.com or varieyvista?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 8:05AM

As stated above FS-101 is a doubled die. A example of this coin is on PCGS coinfacts which show obvious doubling on the E&R of liberty, and the S mintmark, both something that I don’t see from your coin.

I believe your coin is a normal 1990-S proof quarter.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

I figured the designation referred top an error - thx for confirming.

But I am still confused - the OP found it in a roll of proof quarters, put it in a 2x2 with a DD reference, and then asks about missing frost?

Maybe it was a figurative "roll". i.e. 40 holdered coins?

Anyway, aside from the FS-101 thing that I can't confirm or deny, I agree that it looks normal.

I am sorry about the pictures as it really dosen't show the amount of detail missing in this coin. As you know the frost is very pronounced on these proofs and the lettering does not have any of it on this coin when compared to others of the same year.

I tried to post another picture of the coin. The reflection of the surfaces of the lettering are from the polished areas of the lettering. They are not frosted as they should be.

The frosting on the coin doesn’t have its own variety #. The reason your coin doesn’t have any frosting on Certain devices is because that coin was struck with a late stage die when the frosting has wore off the die. It really is just a normal proof quarter

Collector

Thank you for the information. So. Should I send it in for grading?

No it won’t be worth it. From the pictures it don’t look like a DDO.

Collector

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it very much.

edited October 22, 2019 2:43AM

The frost is added to the die (with acid or sand-blastng - not sure which - to roughen the surface). It wears down to a smoother finish as coins are struck. Your coin presumably was toward the tail end of a cycle and the letters had lost the frost. At some point they would have pulled the dies and added the frosted devices again.

Well this one was missed. I might take it down to the local coin shop to have them look it over to get an idea of what variety it might fall under.
    Thank you for the information!

As I mentioned only the Washington head has the frosting and all of the lettering is missing this frosting including the mint mark. So, quite an interesting find.

The coin doesn’t have a variety. The frosting wore off on the die when it struck your coin. That’s why parts are missing the frosting. No need to take it to a coin shop. You got multiple expert opinions here.

Collector

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SFDSA said:
    Well this one was missed. I might take it down to the local coin shop to have them look it over to get an idea of what variety it might fall under.
    Thank you for the information!

One common misconception is that just because a person owns a coin shop, he/she is an expert on all areas of numismatics. That’s not the case. Some dealers are very knowledgeable of errors and varieties, but many others have little or no interest. It’s impossible to be an expert on everything. You need to assess their knowledge/interest.
    That’s the great thing about forums like this. You get a concentration of experts on many subjects. If you have questions on errors/varieties, there are a lot of experts that can help. Bust Halves? Seated coins? Morgan VAMs? There are experts here.

Member of the ANA since 1982

I really appreciate your time and help with this issue. I was hoping that it was a special case. I will keep trying.
    Thanks again for your time and help. I truly appreciate it!

You were absolutely correct about the coin. I had it looked at locally and it was a proof from another set that the mint produced in 1990.
    Just wanted to keep you posted.
    Thanks again for your help.