Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

eBay sales advice sought

I know there are many threads on this. I just read a bunch. But please humor me with some fresh responses.

I've only sold literally a couple coins on eBay
I am about to list maybe 10 or 20 world coins. Mostly late 19th, early 20th century. I am hoping to get 5 to 20 on most (HOPING). Separate listings.

Do you recommend auction with no reserve, with a reserve, buy it now, or BIN with offer. Or it depends.

I planned on 99¢ auctions but when I looked up a few past listings I noticed a lot of success with offers accepted.

Also, I have done free shipping before, but I am thinking of adding shipping in case I get a very low sale.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

All depends on the coins and how much you paid for the pieces.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    All depends on the coins and how much you paid for the pieces.

I got them all for a tad above spot. All circulated, varied condition. Several Mexican centavos, Balboa's. I could post a list, but didn't want to bore you guys. :D

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had very good luck with 99 cent opening auctions for $10/$20 world coins. The last group I ran, two of 20 sold, at not much over opening bid. I have since listed the unsold items in my store as fixed price listings and most have sold for prices from $10 to $25. I do not plan on listing more auctions anytime soon.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    I have not had very good luck with 99 cent opening auctions for $10/$20 world coins. The last group I ran, two of 20 sold, at not much over opening bid. I have since listed the unsold items in my store as fixed price listings and most have sold for prices from $10 to $25. I do not plan on listing more auctions anytime soon.

Good advice. Thank you.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2019 11:27AM

"World coins" covers a lot of material. Your results will necessarily depend on what the specific coins are. You'll likely have better luck with higher grades vs. lower, older vs. newer, larger vs. smaller and silver vs. base metals.

edited to add... The coins I ran as auctions dated from 1910 to 1950. About half were silver, dime to quarter sized. All graded XF and up.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    "World coins" covers a lot of material. Your results will necessarily depend on what the specific coins are. You'll likely have better luck with higher grades vs. lower, older vs. newer, larger vs. smaller and silver vs. base metals.

edited to add... The coins I ran as auctions dated from 1910 to 1950. About half were silver, dime to quarter sized. All graded XF and up.

Thank you. I will see how I do and hopefully update this thread with some success...

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the price of the coin is less than 100 likely if you auction you will be on the red unless you really got them for cheap. If you put them for fixed price they will be there for a long time unless they are in very good grade. Auction fast sell but likely under. Fixed, long time to sell.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    If the price of the coin is less than 100 likely if you auction you will be on the red unless you really got them for cheap. If you put them for fixed price they will be there for a long time unless they are in very good grade. Auction fast sell but likely under. Fixed, long time to sell.

Thanks.

I might experiment a bit and see how it goes.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

World Silver as a rule(unless it's better stuff) listed at a 99 cent start will sell for less than a pawn shop will pay you for them. The bidders will back out the shipping and want to be around 80% of spot all in!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    World Silver as a rule(unless it's better stuff) listed at a 99 cent start will sell for less than a pawn shop will pay you for them. The bidders will back out the shipping and want to be around 80% of spot all in!

I definitely see that while going through sold listings. I only have about twenty or thirty total coins to sell. I wil experiment and see how I do.

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2019 6:50AM

I recommend also considering the auction length and starting times and dates. From what I have read, longer auctions tend to attract more viewers and potential buyers. And eBay experts recommend ending auctions on the weekend (but not a holiday weekend). I typically sell with a 7 or 10 day auction, end on Sunday evening, start at $2, and charge $3 for shipping. eBay pushes for free shipping, and maybe they have data to prove that it drives up bidding.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post them on the BST, Reddit, Facebook, Instagram etc. I don't see any need in selling cheap raw coins somewhere where you will have to pay selling fees and shipping costs.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience as an Ebay seller is that Ebay customers do not like reserve prices and it might be better to set the minimum price that you are comfortable with selling the coin for if it gets only one bid.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television