Home Sports Talk
Options

When will The Players Championship @ Sawgrass be recognized officially as golf's 5th Major?

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 18, 2019 12:39PM in Sports Talk

I'm not sure when this was introduced as induction criteria for the World Golf HOF, but they basically do recognize it that way as a qualification criteria for Male Competitors:

A player must have a cumulative total of 15 or more official victories on any of the original members of the International Federation of PGA Tours (PGA TOUR, European Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Sunshine Tour, Asian Tour and PGA of Australasia) OR at least two victories among the following events: The Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship.

I know it's been there for a few years already, but can't find a history of the qualifications.

ETA: Looks like it's been around since at least 1996 for the HOF qualifications: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Golf_Hall_of_Fame#PGA_Tour/Champions_Tour_ballot

Comments

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2019 1:26PM

Never, hopefully.

Too cool, laid back and cheap. Official “major” status would probably change that to a stuffier environment, but not that it isnt deserving to be. I’m just being selfish, I guess.

If youve never sat in the stands and played “closest to the pin” with complete strangers w/ fist full of bills, I highly suggest it. Even the players and caddies themselves do it publicly during practices rounds.

Closest, Called canon balls and sands, putt after misses and makes. All fun games to play.

You’d never realize from the tv screen, but I’d guesstimate 60-70% of the crowd is doing it. Even little ‘ol Grace that’s never missed one.

Almost as traditional as Pimento Cheese sandwiches at Augusta.

• Options

Playing there is on my bucket list, watching an event there sounds like a blast too!

I'm just figuring since the LPGA officially recognized a 5th Major a few years back (w/o any backlash), it's only a matter of time.

• Options

Agreed. And again, it fully deserves it. Im just being selfish.

When you make it out, hit me up. We’ll do it right. Promise.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give me a case of Budweiser, and the 17th hole at Sawgrass, and I'll make a weekend of it.

• Options

I love 17

and 18 too

• Options

Thats the spot! Watch the approaches to see who’s greedy on the par 5, 16 across the pond there. Then tee shots right behind ya.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would never get to the 18th hole. That and the damn windmill at the miniature golf place.

:/

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 3:20PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    I love 17

Thats me collecting a hundred dollar bill off a 10-1 pond call during the middle of that epic meltdown. :)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

this went down on 17 earlier this year

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    this went down on 17 earlier this year

Tiger has turned in to a likable player. Great to see it.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me but I am really interested in only TWO majors: the US Open and the Masters. I have moderate interest The Open. I view the PGA Championship just like any other weekly tour stop. So adding another "major" seems unnecessary to me.