Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BCW coin flip have PVC!?! What flip should I use?

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 17, 2019 6:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

About a year or so ago I bought a pack of BCW coin flips. They were advertised as being PVC free. But in my poll about flips or 2x2 @OwenSeymour told me the the BCW coin flips have PVC!?! I getting very worried now because almost all my raw coins are in BCW coin flips.

Can others confirm or deny that BCW coin flips have PVC?

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is only one reason why I hate flips. Perform a Bielstein test to see if it contains chlorine - the result will tell you if it contains PVC.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    This is only one reason why I hate flips. Perform a Bielstein test to see if it contains chlorine - the result will tell you if it contains PVC.

What is a Bielstein test? What do you use?

• Options

Sorry, actually spelled Beilstein - Google it. It is a simple test if you have a copper wire and access to a Bunsen burner or propane torch.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options

Or you can contact BCW directly and ask...….

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I believe they do have pvc in them. I have always steered clear of them

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

See link above. They clearly declare them to be PVC.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2019 6:24PM

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    Yes I believe they do have pvc in them. I have always steered clear of them

@jmlanzaf said:
    https://bcwsupplies.com/2x2-double-pocket-vinyl-flip-insert

Shoot. :s Now I have a whole mother project to do.

What types of cheap but long term storage flips do you recommend?

And what should I do with the stupid BCW ones?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    See link above. They clearly declare them to be PVC.

When I bought them a year or so back, the thing said no PVC!

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    Sorry, actually spelled Beilstein - Google it. It is a simple test if you have a copper wire and access to a Bunsen burner or propane torch.

I don’t have a propane torch or a Bunsen burner (except at school lol) is that’s out

• Options

@CWT1863 said:
    I recommend Saflips. They are archival quality and don’t contain PVC. Just received an order from Wizard Coin Supply and got 100 more of them.

They do seem more expensive but it has to be worth it. This is the cheapest on I could find. These are the correct one right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFLIP-2X2-DOUBLE-POCKET-COIN-FLIPS-PACK-OF-50-SAFLIPS/264150503340?hash=item3d8098cfac:g:s18AAOSwYeNbExqs

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@CWT1863 said:
    I recommend Saflips. They are archival quality and don’t contain PVC. Just received an order from Wizard Coin Supply and got 100 more of them.

They do seem more expensive but it has to be worth it. This is the cheapest on I could find. These are the correct one right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFLIP-2X2-DOUBLE-POCKET-COIN-FLIPS-PACK-OF-50-SAFLIPS/264150503340?hash=item3d8098cfac:g:s18AAOSwYeNbExqs

May seem low cost but verify shipping charges. Per item may seem inexpensive then wild shipping costs.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:

@CWT1863 said:

May seem low cost but verify shipping charges. Per item may seem inexpensive then wild shipping costs.

After shipping still cheapest I can find at 21 cents per flip. Better get my whole collection out of the PVC ones.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@CWT1863 said:

Yes, those are the ones. I usually add them onto an order anytime I buy something from Wizard. They are more expensive but I think they are worth it. If you get them be careful when you put a coin inside to make sure you don’t scratch the coin with the edge. I have made the mistake before. Overall, I like them. They work best for my needs.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

First class rate for a 5 oz. package is $3.18 to $3.63, depending on zone. $4.06 for shipping doesn't seem too wild.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flackthat said:
    @Kliao If you plan to use any for Larger coins like St. Gaudens, Seated Dollars, Morgan's, etc... I would also purchase the
    2-1/2 X 2-1/2 Instead of the 2X2. The extra room really helps when inserting the coins and removing them. The last thing you want is any scratches.

This.

May not seem a lot but that 1/2 inch gives you more room to open the flip so you don’t accidentally scratch the coin (as @CWT1863 amd @Flackthat mentioned) as you put it in.

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Or you can contact BCW directly and ask...….

When I called them after their flips ruined a few of my coins they told me the "PVC Free" claim on the package was misleading

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Base on my experience, I had a few coins in BCW flips and they started having that green stuff residue on them. Thankfully they are not expensive coins, removed them from BCW flips and bathed them in acetone to remove the green residue. They are now in "saflips" brand stored with the rest of inexpensive coins. BCW claimed not having pvc on them that's why I bought them from Long Beach coin show a few years back. I discarded all BCW flips that I had and replaced them with saflips.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CWT1863 said:

I get mine from Wizard too.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saflips are great. I use them. But I think it's important to point out that they get scratched and scuffed up easily. But the way I look at it is, what am I trying to protect, the coin or the flip?

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC smells like a slip cover

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used Saflips for many years without any problems. They are available on eBay and most coin supply companies. Like many things, the more you buy in an order the cheaper the cost per flip.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Just looked through some of my coins.........PVC damage :s . Good thing they are low value coins that I found from CRH. None of my high value coins got touched.

• Options

Gonna get a hundred saflips today. Still looking for the best deal on eBay. Have eBay bucks to spend.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Just looked through some of my coins.........PVC damage :s . Good thing they are low value coins that I found from CRH. None of my high value coins got touched.

Acetone will remove the PVC contamination. Rinse well. Use in a well ventilated area away from fire or sparks. The fumes are extremely flammable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed with all of the above on Saflips. The non-PVC flips may seem slightly more brittle, but this is a good thing--they do not contain the ingredient that you will need to worry about after a few months.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Kliao said:

Acetone will remove the PVC contamination. Rinse well. Use in a well ventilated area away from fire or sparks. The fumes are extremely flammable.

To add to the @PerryHall post, if you suspect the old flip is PVC, you should always give the coin a short acetone soak. The PVC plasticizer residue may be on the coin, but at a level were it's hard to see. If you don't remove the residue, it will continue to react/damage the coin even if you put it in an inert flip.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@PerryHall said:

@Kliao said:

To add to the @PerryHall post, if you suspect the old flip is PVC, you should always give the coin a short acetone soak. The PVC plasticizer residue may be on the coin, but at a level were it's hard to see. If you don't remove the residue, it will continue to react/damage the coin even if you put it in an inert flip.

Thanks. Seems like there’s something else I need to buy. :/

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 5:33AM

For low value coins, I like to use the standard cardboard 2x2's. No PVC in the plastic window and they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Somebody will chime in about the potential damage from staple scratches, but that's only a concern if/when you remove the coin from the 2x2 and the if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing, the risk can be significantly minimized (I remove the entire staple(s) before opening the 2x2)

Edit to add - Make sure you crimp the staples flat or use a stapler that flattens them

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    For low value coins, I like to use the standard cardboard 2x2's. No PVC in the plastic window and they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Somebody will chime in about the potential damage from staple scratches, but that's only a concern if/when you remove the coin from the 2x2 and the if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing, the risk can be significantly minimized (I remove the entire staple(s) before opening the 2x2)

Edit to add - Make sure you crimp the staples flat or use a stapler that flattens them

That what I’m beginning to do. I’m using a pair of pliers to squeeze the staples down. I got a whole bunch of 2x2 flips (probably 1,000+) at a estate sale for 5 bucks. So I’ve got a ton of 2x2 flips.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 5:38AM

@PerryHall said:
    If you use cardboard staple type coin holders be sure to clean the inside windows before use. During the manufacturing process cardboard dust is generated and any cardboard dust on the windows can cause spotting on copper and silver coins especially untoned proofs. I usually wipe them clean with a clean cotton cloth but you can also use compressed air.

Yes I hate any thing that’s in the 2x2 flip. It’s a bit annoying for me to see anything in the 2x2 other than the coin.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

And use FOUR staples!
    Flattened, too!

• Options

@topstuf said:
    And use FOUR staples!
    Flattened, too!

Yes 4 . I use 8 on the big dollar ones to keep them closed

• Options

@Kliao said:

@topstuf said:
    And use FOUR staples!
    Flattened, too!

Multiple piercings of the Mylar can work against you.

• Options

@topstuf said:

@Kliao said:

@topstuf said:
    And use FOUR staples!
    Flattened, too!

How?

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 7:46AM

These are areas where air can infiltrate into the 2x2 and initiate toning. It is a bigger concern if the coins are stored in a warm, humid environment and you don't check them regularly. FWIW, I live in the North East and haven't had this problem, even on coins that I put in 2x2s back in the 70s. (but I use silica gel packets and buffed copper cents to scavenge the moisture and other components in the atmosphere that don't play well with coins).

I don't like using 2x2s for anything larger than a half dollar. Not enough room to write anything. For the larger coins, I use the safety flips, even for low value coins.

They key is to check regularly.

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I open 2X2s by cutting the paper around the outside of the coin. No messing with staples or risky piercing.

• Options

@Kliao said:

@topstuf said:

@Kliao said:

@topstuf said:
    And use FOUR staples!
    Flattened, too!

How?

Lots of coins stored for a long time in 2x2s can get little blue dots where staples ...LEAK!
    Yep, they do that.

The safest cardboard 2x2 method is to use ACE staples AND an Ace stapler.

Then use Vise Grips set to ....almost.... closed to flatten the staples.

No needlenosed coin wreckers.

Poke a SHARP knife through the Mylar and push out to remove coin.

:)

• Options

Properly done, the Mylar will stretch over the coin and seal it.

• Options

@topstuf said:

@Kliao said:

@topstuf said:

@Kliao said:

@topstuf said:
    And use FOUR staples!
    Flattened, too!

How?

Lots of coins stored for a long time in 2x2s can get little blue dots where staples ...LEAK!
    Yep, they do that.

The safest cardboard 2x2 method is to use ACE staples AND an Ace stapler.

Then use Vise Grips set to ....almost.... closed to flatten the staples.

No needlenosed coin wreckers.

Poke a SHARP knife through the Mylar and push out to remove coin.

:)

Well I’m not gonna buy that much stuff. I’m still young. Regular staples and pliers are good enough for me as of now,

• Options

@topstuf said:
    Properly done, the Mylar will stretch over the coin and seal it.

Thanks for the info

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 2:00PM

With that PVC scare my type coins aren’t going in any more flips. Here’s a couple

• Options

I just squeezed down the staples too after the pic

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or buy a "flat clinch" staplers and be done with it in one step.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file