Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

In between "big" coin purchases, I collect cheap low grade pre-1840 world silver and put it in a bag

It's amazing how fast this stuff has piled up lol.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you get them for spot or how do you buy them?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Often yes.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, that’s awesome.

• Options

@Senator32 said:

@Kliao said:

Often yes.

Wow great deals

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 4:01PM

I heard the following story at MTB around late 1980's. Around 1980 during the Hunt silver run up, Luis Vigdor of MTB bought at least hundreds of 55 gallon drums full of cobs, struck reales, and procs from the reserves of the Bolivian govt where they had been ever since demonitization over a century before. US refineries were backed up for many months out so the whole thing was literally shipped to Turkey for smelting there. A back of the envelope calculation gives >60,000 8 reales weight equivalent per drum.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 8:00PM

Very cool!!
    I love that idea.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 80s, I would search junque boxes at shows for anything pre1850. This was when the only easily accessed reference was Craig's Coins of the World 1750-1850 and Krause just started to publish a single volume reference. Picked up some interesting silver, but nothing like you have. Nice score

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just started doing the same thing recently it satisfies the itch to hunt for cool stuff without the hefty price tag. I've only been able to grab a few late date cap and rays so far though, anything pre-1840 seems way too expensive for even culls on eBay.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Que_sai_je said:
    I heard the following story at MTB around late 1980's. Around 1980 during the Hunt silver run up, Luis Vigdor of MTB bought at least hundreds of 55 gallon drums full of cobs, struck reales, and procs from the reserves of the Bolivian govt where they had been ever since demonitization over a century before. US refineries were backed up for many months out so the whole thing was literally shipped to Turkey for smelting there. A back of the envelope calculation gives >60,000 8 reales weight equivalent per drum.

I believe this also applies to the 19th century crown sized boliviano. In 1975 when I was first exposed to collecting, my aunt took me to a market in Lapaz where I saw thousands of these coins just in a few shops. I don't remember the dates and wasn't in a position to evaluate quality but it wasn't total junk.

I suspect most of the supply at that time was melted in the 1979-1980 silver boom, since the metal content would have been worth a lot more than selling it as a collectible, even in better grades for most dates. Today, only the 1872 is relatively common in high quality.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 6:01AM

You do know some of your English coins are 50%! >:)

@WildIdea said:
    I’ve been doing this some myself. I don’t have a 1840 rule, just needs to be world silver of at least 60% content and deemed attractive.

It’s fun to pitch a new coin or two in the box from time to time and the more variety the better. I’m glad I’m not the only one who is doing this.

• Options

@Wasserwerks said:
    Very nice! I do the same with circulated gold coins, cashing them in for a bigger purchase or a "keeper". Just keep stacking the smalls, gold is gold.

Nice collection. Although I don’t believe those maple leaves were in circulation :)

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@Wasserwerks said:
    Very nice! I do the same with circulated gold coins, cashing them in for a bigger purchase or a "keeper". Just keep stacking the smalls, gold is gold.

Nice collection. Although I don’t believe those maple leaves were in circulation :)

Nice gold stack!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2019 8:43AM

I love the mix of silver - it's like your own pirate treasure! :p

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool group!

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pre 1840 silver mix is pretty close to what would have been in circulation in the US from colonial times to the mid 1800s, along with US silver.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    What the hell, here's my attempt:

I approve! Nice lot.

• Options

Also...sweet Brasher bowl....is that legit?

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss - I know nothing about antique silver, nor how expensive that piece is...

But, how does beer taste in that thing!? So cool.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is definitely something to be said for keeping some coins raw.

Here and there I have some older, worn Maria Teresia talers. I think I need to get them all together in one pile.

We spend so much time trying to keep coins as pristine as possible that we can forget how nice it is to have a handful of circulated silver. The closest I have come in a long time was a couple years ago when I dug $14 face in silver coins out of a Coinstar reject slot. I'll never forget the sound...

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    @Weiss - I know nothing about antique silver, nor how expensive that piece is...

But, how does beer taste in that thing!? So cool.

Thanks. Haven't had anything out of her yet. Asked a local brewery if I could commission Washington's beer recipe (he was a brewer, Brasher was his next door neighbor). They loved the idea but said I'd need to back them up on 500 gallons. Still considering it.

I have drunk out of the rest of the collection. It's very cool. Silver is a great conductor, so the whole mug gets frosty cold.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

How do you make sure they are authentic ? There are lots of counterfeits in less expensive auctions like ebay or flee markets.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it and you learn a lot about history. Here is my pile
    Mine are all in KM order by country

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member