Home Sports Talk

Could have been you Bryce

TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Could have possibly won a World Series before Trout if you stayed. At least you got paid.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomi said:
    Could have possibly won a World Series before Trout if you stayed. At least you got paid.

He went from contender to loser......what was he thinking??!! B)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was thinking $300,000,000.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Exactly

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Can’t stand Bryce, but $300m aint a bad second place trophy.

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

Exactly

How many Millions do you actually need??

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

Exactly

Most of these guys have no great allegiance to a given team as you do to the Cowboys and I used to have for the Tigers. In two and a half months the fans in a dozen cold towns will mourn a lousy season while the mercinaries pack up for an off season of golf in Florida, Arizona and Hawaii.

If next years uniform is a different color, they don't care, as long as the money is still green.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Being here in Philly, the fans have really taken a liking to him. The way he plays the game, his hustle all the time.....he's been good for the city. In one year he has already gotten very involved in the city and community, and he seems to genuinely like it here. I'll admit this year wasn't what we thought it would look like here, but the Phils have some solid players and could be .very good in a few more years. I know they paid him a lot of money, but he brought an instant credibility with him, something this team badly needed

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 6:26PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

Exactly

It’s not a question of need it’s all about wanting and accepting a ridiculous amount of money. Even after taxes and his agent take their cut this type of money will ensure financial stability for his kids kids and their kids. Generations of Harper’s are going to be well off

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teams rarely showed loyalty to their players, why shouldn't the players get the best deal they can?

Killebrew, released by the Twins after a HOF career. One of the top hitters in all of MLB for over a decade. Willie Mays ended his career with the Mets. Really? I know he was coming back to N.Y. but still, really?

Have to give credit to the Red Sox for keeping Yaz! Tigers for keeping Kaline, Cubs for Banks.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Nowadays, the players are forced (if you want to call it that) by the union to get the most and take it. They feel that it just sets the bar higher for the next guy....and it does.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Teams rarely showed loyalty to their players, why shouldn't the players get the best deal they can?

Killebrew, released by the Twins after a HOF career. One of the top hitters in all of MLB for over a decade. Willie Mays ended his career with the Mets. Really? I know he was coming back to N.Y. but still, really?

Have to give credit to the Red Sox for keeping Yaz! Tigers for keeping Kaline, Cubs for Banks.

Let's compare Kaline to Killebrew. In 1974 both were clearly washed up. They both (likely) were good enough to get a contract somewhere, but not good enough to stick with the Tigers/Twins. It's certainly not the teams' fault that Kaline decided to retire and Killibrew wanted to come back for one more year. I think it is similar for all other players who decided to bounce around at the end of their careers rather than stick with the team they'd play with their whole career. It's different since Curt Flood as, say, Pujols has a contract big enough that the Angels want to milk the last drop of their investment rather than cut him loose and have to pay every penny for nothing.

All I said was Killebrew was released by the owner of a team he was the cornerstone on for 16 years. There was nobody "waiting in the wings".

One, or two more years should have been offered without hesitation.

No loyalty from Calvin Griffith. COMPLETELY his fault for releasing "Killer". Who do you think put the fans in the seats here in Minnesota?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@MLBdays said:
    Major slap in Bryce's face if the Nats win the WS ....its already embarrassing they are where they are.

They didn't have Corbin there last year, and a lot of their young players are maturing. They seem to be a little healthier this year. A lot happens over a 162 game season; it's not like they lost 100 games with him.

@JoeBanzai said:
    All I said was Killebrew was released by the owner of a team he was the cornerstone on for 16 years. There was nobody "waiting in the wings".

No loyalty from Calvin Griffith. COMPLETELY his fault for releasing "Killer". Who do you think put the fans in the seats here in Minnesota?

I understand about fan support, but just can't imagine people lining up to watch a part time DH with an OPS+ of 95, or a more full time DH the next year with an OPS+ of 90. He certainly justified his release with an OPS+ of 93 in Kansas City. Oliva was considerably better in 1975, and Kusick was much better than Killebrew could have been in 1976. It's terribly sad to see players play who just can't do it at a high level any more. Joe Mauer is probably one of the top 5000 baseball players on the planet, but do we really think the Twins would be able to compete with him at first base in 2021? Do we think Joe Mauer fans would really want to see him try to play the field at age 38? I could come up with any number of examples of all-time greats who couldn't do it anymore. Some were willing to hang it up, some had to be shown the door. I'm happy to say that 1973 and 1974 were the one, two more years offered without hesitation.

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I understand about fan support, but just can't imagine people lining up to watch a part time DH with an OPS+ of 95, or a more full time DH the next year with an OPS+ of 90. He certainly justified his release with an OPS+ of 93 in Kansas City. Oliva was considerably better in 1975, and Kusick was much better than Killebrew could have been in 1976. It's terribly sad to see players play who just can't do it at a high level any more. Joe Mauer is probably one of the top 5000 baseball players on the planet, but do we really think the Twins would be able to compete with him at first base in 2021? Do we think Joe Mauer fans would really want to see him try to play the field at age 38? I could come up with any number of examples of all-time greats who couldn't do it anymore. Some were willing to hang it up, some had to be shown the door. I'm happy to say that 1973 and 1974 were the one, two more years offered without hesitation.

Talking about loyalty here, not statistical analysis. Kusick was slightly better than Killebrrew but that's not the point.

Killebrew was still able to hit at about a .700 OPS and play some 1B and DH. Griffith should have found a way to keep him.

Killebrew was THE reason people here in Minnesota went to the games most years. How many bad years did the Twins have? Killebrew didn't have any bad years from 1959-1971. He should have been kept out of respect and gratitude.

@JoeBanzai said:

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Talking about loyalty here, not statistical analysis. Kusick was slightly better than Killebrrew but that's not the point.

Killebrew was still able to hit at about a .700 OPS and play some 1B and DH. Griffith should have found a way to keep him.

Killebrew was THE reason people here in Minnesota went to the games most years. How many bad years did the Twins have? Killebrew didn't have any bad years from 1959-1971. He should have been kept out of respect and gratitude.

In 1976 Kusick was A LOT better than Killebrew. Just for fun, I took a look at where a .700 OPS (a number which Killebrew approached, but didn't equal, from 1973 to 1975) would have landed in the AL this year. 59 out of 62 qualified batters. Not good for a superior defender at a key position; horrific for a DH (and 257.2 innings at first over his last two years doesn't make him anything other than a DH). No question he didn't have any bad years from '59 to '71, and I'll even extend that to '72, but attendance went from 7th in '72 to 10th to 12th (of 12) in 1974, adding great support to my thesis that Minnesota fans didn't like watching what Killebrew had become.

Bottom line, which you apparently don't get, is that he WAS kept for two years out of respect and gratitude and, yes, the idea he might be able to find something left in the tank. You can't blame management for not wanting to keep that kind of burden around indefinitely. Baseball rosters are very short, and if a player doesn't know when to retire, he'll have to be let go.

Is Mariners' ownership disloyal for not bringing Felix Hernandez back for a 16th year? He didn't have a bad year between 2007 and 2015.

@daltex said:

In 1976 Kusick was A LOT better than Killebrew. Just for fun, I took a look at where a .700 OPS (a number which Killebrew approached, but didn't equal, from 1973 to 1975) would have landed in the AL this year. 59 out of 62 qualified batters. Not good for a superior defender at a key position; horrific for a DH (and 257.2 innings at first over his last two years doesn't make him anything other than a DH). No question he didn't have any bad years from '59 to '71, and I'll even extend that to '72, but attendance went from 7th in '72 to 10th to 12th (of 12) in 1974, adding great support to my thesis that Minnesota fans didn't like watching what Killebrew had become.

Bottom line, which you apparently don't get, is that he WAS kept for two years out of respect and gratitude and, yes, the idea he might be able to find something left in the tank. You can't blame management for not wanting to keep that kind of burden around indefinitely. Baseball rosters are very short, and if a player doesn't know when to retire, he'll have to be let go.

In 1976 Killebrew was retired, so Kusick was better than Harmon. In 1975 the Twins Firstbaseman was John Briggs he was a HUGE upgrade, not because he was better than Killebrew, but because we managed to get rid of Bobby Darwin in trading for Briggs, who was in HIS last year. Yeah, your right they were so much better without the guy who was the cornerstone of the organization.

Bottom line, it's that kind of thinking that's RUINING sports. You keep going back to "numbers" it has nothing to do with that.

I was here, I saw Kusick, (frankly, I didn't even remember Briggs) he couldn't even "out homer" Killebrew in his prime when Harmon was a shadow of his former self. I saw what Killebrew did for the organization. I KNOW how we felt about the big guy.

Griffith should have given him another year and a second if Harmon wanted it.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a business. $300 million is a good business decision. Fans in Philadelphia are way better, more loyal, and more knowledgeable than the ones in DC

I guess I am old school. I put a lot of stock in loyalty.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Agree, miss the days when fans were able to follow and cheer for a player in the same uniform (Bird, Magic, Elway, Marino, Payton).

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Agree, miss the days when fans were able to follow and cheer for a player in the same uniform (Bird, Magic, Elway, Marino, Payton).

It was awesome when Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. went in on the same ballot while both playing their careers with the same team. We probably won't ever see that again with the HOF when 2 guys go in and play their whole careers for the same team.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last two MLB Hall of Fame induction classes have each had 2 players that played their whole career with one team.

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2019 2:07PM

@countdouglas said:
    The last two MLB Hall of Fame induction classes have each had 2 players that played their whole career with one team.

Starting from now we probably won't see it again. :)

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was pulling for the Nats until I kept seeing their constant unnatural, strange obsession of trying to rub their playoff success and impending WS win in Bryce's face.
    Let it go.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

@Tomi said:

@countdouglas said:

Starting from now we probably won't see it again. :)

going forward, you'll probably be lucky to see one.