Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Personal use of Heritage auction photos

I just recently won three lots in my first Heritage auction, and I received my new cards today. Since I now own the cards, do I also own the photos? In other words, if I should decide to sell my cards in the future, would I be able to use their photos, or would I need to retake them myself. Just curious if anyone else has had the same question. Thanks!

I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Are they watermarked? I know this has been discussed online, but I don't recall. It seems photos online would not be protected and would be hard to enforce, but I could be wrong.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2019 5:38PM

They aren't watermarked. I'm mostly a coin guy, but I recently started dabbling in Baseball cards again. Here's one of the cards in question.

I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Screen grab and crop. Its then a picture of a picture and all yours.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Heritage. I'd be astonished if any court would say you automatically own the image, and courts tend not to be amused when people try to use "clever" tactics to get around the law, but if you have written permission from Heritage than it's fine.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 2:28AM

He’s not attempting to sell or profiting from Heritage’s image(s) though.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you feel the photos represent the card faithfully and is of high enough quality, then use them yourself. Can't think of a world in which you would be subject to any consequence for reusing images of your card that someone else took.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they will sue a customer over this. Did they get permission to post the picture from whoever owns the rights?

Doubt it. Don't worry about it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

If you remove the Heritage copyright line before using the image to sell your card then you won’t likely ever run into an issue. Technically it’s a violation on use of their copyrighted material but it’s unlikely that it will be noticed. You own the card not their image. Where you’re more likely to run into an issue is when potential buyers compare images and prices on past sales when they consider buying your card. Eagle eyed buyers could notice that your image is identical to the image previously used to sell the card and could cause them to question if you really have the card you’re trying to sell. This is a common scam and based on your selling reputation and the buyer’s motivation on now having to look into it further could be where it may affect the bidding or purchase. If you use images from various auction houses that is also something that tends to be noticed and cause concern. If you have the ability to image the card yourself then that would be the best way to handle it.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should be paying you. They're getting free advertising.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KbKards said:
    If you remove the Heritage copyright line before using the image to sell your card then you won’t likely ever run into an issue. Technically it’s a violation on use of their copyrighted material but it’s unlikely that it will be noticed. You own the card not their image. Where you’re more likely to run into an issue is when potential buyers compare images and prices on past sales when they consider buying your card. Eagle eyed buyers could notice that your image is identical to the image previously used to sell the card and could cause them to question if you really have the card you’re trying to sell. This is a common scam and based on your selling reputation and the buyer’s motivation on now having to look into it further could be where it may affect the bidding or purchase. If you use images from various auction houses that is also something that tends to be noticed and cause concern. If you have the ability to image the card yourself then that would be the best way to handle it.

Great post! I never thought of that.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Thank you, everyone, for all the great comments. Definitely some things to ponder!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Agflyer said:
    Thank you, everyone, for all the great comments. Definitely some things to ponder!

Here is a good read if you are sick of staring at the wall.

https://www.ha.com/c/ref/website-use-agreement.zx

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does it look trimmed left/right?