Home Sports Talk
Options

Lions Got by the refs.

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

The end of this game was like watching the refs in professional wrestling. The announcers were spot on.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

i commented on this exact topic today in another thread. it is completely out of control. had i been Trey Flowers, i guarantee you i would have rattled off about 5 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a row the moment i was flagged for a bogus hands to the face call for the second time. i seriously would have lost my marbles. they've instituted instant replay for blown calls this season, but not a single thing has changed. tonight the Lions got jobbed harder than any team not named the New Orleans Saints in last year's NFC Champ game.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the Dal/Jets game Sun. When Witten caught a sure touchdown the refs. called a bogus Offensive PI on another Cowboy. Even the announcers were surprised and commented on it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL sanctioned sports wagering, anyone?

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lambeau Field is always a tough place to play a game because the refs always favor the cheese heads

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the two "hands to the face" penalties were ridiculous and verified by the replays to be non-existent. they affected the outcome of the game which would have ended with a Detroit victory without them.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping the Lions pulled that off but Ofcourse they let the Pack right back in it and lost, I didn’t see the penalties but it don’t surprise me they won it late

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

photoshop the green bay uniform on him

• Options

now that's funny!!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    the two "hands to the face" penalties were ridiculous and verified by the replays to be non-existent. they affected the outcome of the game which would have ended with a Detroit victory without them.

I agree, but the Pack would still have got the FG to go ahead. The only difference is that Detroit would have got the ball back with a minute or so to try and get down to get a FG.

I didn't see the first bogus HTF, but the one at the end of the game allowed the Pack a 1st down and run the clock out with the winning FG.

• Options

• Options

I can't find the thread where we were discussing the 10 second run off rules. But it was a thought last night watching the end of the Packer game. The Packers ran the clock down to 2 seconds. What if they false start on the FG try and that being a offensive penalty.......is there a 10 second run off? If so.....you just crapped in your mess kit and lost the game.

Just wondering??

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Sanders is usually pretty reserved. Well in his playing days he was.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

One garbage call is bad enough, but two garbage calls? I think this picture pretty much sums up what the refs said to the Lions last night.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2019 8:11AM

then there was this little jewel. Lions up by 2 with about 7 mins left and Stafford tried to hit Marvin Jones deep in Pack territory (around their 20). watch this in real time and it's one of the most obvious PI calls you will ever see. GB DB raked him over both arms before the ball got there -- no flag. Detroit didn't challenge, but nothing would have changed had they done so because unless a WR gets shanked, the no-call will be upheld. then of course the Lions had to punt and ARodg drove down the field for the game-winning FG.

i have always hated the Packers, but never more than this morning

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    NFL sanctioned sports wagering, anyone?

We had the wrong team in the Super Bowl. We had the wrong team in the NCAA Basketball Championship game. We saw last nights fiasco as well as a constant stream of complaints. This is due to obvious lousy officiating at the end of the game, not even giving the effected team a chance to come back. It would be difficult to bribe a player making millions. How much are officials paid? With wagering being sanctioned by the NFL I expect to see more screw up by the officials. There is already an NBA Official in jail for throwing games or making the spread turn out a certain way. I have a feeling he may be getting a cell mate. I am certainly losing confidence that the games are officiated honestly. Gamblers look for knowledge others do not have such as who has a small nagging injury. Who plays with a hangover. Now they will place wagers depending who the officials are.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

This would be a lot better if it was a Green Bay lineman instead of Rodgers, but I still really got a laugh out of it:

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    then there was this little jewel. Lions up by 2 with about 7 mins left and Stafford tried to hit Marvin Jones deep in Pack territory (around their 20). watch this in real time and it's one of the most obvious PI calls you will ever see. GB DB raked him over both arms before the ball got there -- no flag. Detroit didn't challenge, but nothing would have changed had they done so because unless a WR gets shanked, the no-call will be upheld. then of course the Lions had to punt and ARodg drove down the field for the game-winning FG.

i have always hated the Packers, but never more than this morning

Definite PI.

• Options

yes, that PI was another one and although I doubt he would have caught the ball it would have been about a 20 yd penalty and really set up Detroit nicely. I try to think it can't be intentional, but what else are we left with when something so obvious ISN'T called and something else so obvious that isn't then gets called, not once but twice??

I agree, but the Pack would still have got the FG to go ahead.

the first "phantom call" came with Detroit ahead 22-13 and the play involved was a 3rd down sack of Rogers. Green Bay would have been forced to attempt a FG. as it was, they scored a 35yd. TD a few plays later on what was a magnificent throw by Rogers. he just should never have had the chance to throw that pass.

all things considered, at the end of the game the score would most likely have been 22-16 with about 1:40 left and the Packers facing 4th down around the 25-30 yd. line.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I can't find the thread where we were discussing the 10 second run off rules. But it was a thought last night watching the end of the Packer game. The Packers ran the clock down to 2 seconds. What if they false start on the FG try and that being a offensive penalty.......is there a 10 second run off? If so.....you just crapped in your mess kit and lost the game.

Just wondering??

I thought the runoff only occurred when the clock was running. In this case the clock was stopped, it would be a dead ball foul and no run off.

• Options

sometimes, you just wonder what the refs are looking at. On a lot of the PI/no PI calls, they are staring right at the action, see the grabbing, pulling etc and the flag remains in their pocket.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    sometimes, you just wonder what the refs are looking at. On a lot of the PI/no PI calls, they are staring right at the action, see the grabbing, pulling etc and the flag remains in their pocket.

Yes, I know. Then they throw it on a non PI agianst Dallas on the Whitten TD. Some are hard to see......others Stevie Wonder could see!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrendous. They even blew the same ‘hands to the face’ call twice.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Can you say "EYE EXAMS"?????

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

I didn't see the first bogus HTF, but the one at the end of the game allowed the Pack a 1st down and run the clock out with the winning FG.

The first HTF call came on 3rd & long after the Lions got a sack that pushed Green Bay out of FG range. Detroit would have gotten the ball back up 22-13 with under 10 to play.

The second one actually featured an uncalled facemask penalty by Green Bay. Flowers not only didn't commit HTF that got called, the guy blocking him actually committed facemasking. So it should have been 15 yards back or a loss of down.

There was also:

• the long touchdown Green Bay scored, the WR was actually tackled short of the goal line
    • the already-mentioned uncalled PI on the long pass by Detroit
    • the bogus 1st down by Detroit overturned in the first half as an incomplete pass despite 3 steps and a change in hands of the ball

And multiple other calls.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Just wondering??

I thought the runoff only occurred when the clock was running. In this case the clock was stopped, it would be a dead ball foul and no run off.

Green Bay had timeouts left, so it wouldn't have mattered either way. They'd have just used a timeout to prevent the runoff.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Missed the end, was it as bad as the end of Jets/Cowboys game (flag on almost every play)?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

detrotefan2. You should submit those above photos to the NFL league office.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".