Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New pickup- Chinese Kwang-Tung 10 Cent

Looks pretty nice to me, has some nice original toning and strong luster. Thoughts on the grade?

I’m thinking around a 58/62...

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the centre of the Cantonese side, it has the denomination apparently as 10 cents on the perimetre, but If I am reading correctly says 1 Jiao in the centre?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    In the centre of the Cantonese side, it has the denomination apparently as 10 cents on the perimetre, but If I am reading correctly says 1 Jiao in the centre?

Aha! I might actually be able to contribute here.

I have some modern Chinese 1 jiao banknotes and as I understand it, it is worth ten somethings (Chinese version of cents).

I guess "jiao" is like the US "dime".

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah 1 Jiao and 10 cents are interchangeable. The year this was minted was 1922. I don’t think there are records of mintages unfortunately.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@SaorAlba said:

Aha! I might actually be able to contribute here.

I have some modern Chinese 1 jiao banknotes and as I understand it, it is worth ten somethings (Chinese version of cents).

I guess "jiao" is like the US "dime".

1, 2 and 5 Jiao notes were pretty common about 15 years ago, now not so much. They were finally taken over by coins. When I was there back then the coins were more common in the north while in the south of China, Guangdong province, notes were more common. When I was there last year I only ever saw a few 1 Jiao notes and they were in miserable shape.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Shady!