Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Digital Album Question (or suggestion if what I'm asking isn't possible?)

When you create a digital album for a registry set it shows the coins in the album relative to one another's size like this:

However when you create a showcase the coins in the digital album are all the same size like this:

Is it possible to create a showcase digital album where the coins are sized relative to each other like in the set registry albums? Sorry if this has been asked before I actually just noticed this forum section now. I just love digital albums think they're an amazing feature but much prefer the top version if it's possible and I'm missing it for showcases.

Comments

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been working on a digital album in my registry set of special Commemorative medals, too. In my digital album the pages 3 and 4 (the actual first pages with medals) has three different sizes (small, medium, large) of openings, but all the other pages are the middle size. In my case some large medals, actually are in smaller openings on the first page.

I was going to ask that the Commemorative medals reflect their actual sizes in general. So medals 0-1 inch get the small opening size, medals 1-2 inch the mid-size, medals over 2 inch the large size.

Or, I also see that the large size openings fit 3 across and 3 down. These large openings are very easy to see (I am old, LOL) like shown above on the lower picture. So If the medals can't be put into the relative actual size categories like suggested, then I would prefer to have them all the same large size in the digital album, as a compromise to relative sizing.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe all of the Digital Albums should show the relative sizes; however, not everything in CoinFacts has the diameter recorded. If more of the different sets have all of their components noted with their diameters, then more albums would depict actual size comparisons.

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    I believe all of the Digital Albums should show the relative sizes; however, not everything in CoinFacts has the diameter recorded. If more of the different sets have all of their components noted with their diameters, then more albums would depict actual size comparisons.

Ah that makes sense. I only have put together showcases with World coins which are definitely less likely to be in the coin facts records. I thought it was just a difference programmed in for the showcase albums vs. the set registry ones but this makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

@cardinal,

I believe you are correct. I just checked and the majority of all the medals in my set do not show any diameters in CoinFacts, so there is no way for the digital album to know what to do except go to a default. There are over 180 medals in the set I was messing with, so I will put together a complete list with correct diameters for PCGS to consider adding to their descriptions. Thanks for the explanation.

@Goldminers said:
    @cardinal,

I believe you are correct. I just checked and the majority of all the medals in my set do not show any diameters in CoinFacts, so there is no way for the digital album to know what to do except go to a default. There are over 180 medals in the set I was messing with, so I will put together a complete list with correct diameters for PCGS to consider adding to their descriptions. Thanks for the explanation.

When I proposed the Libertas Americana medal set to the PCGS Set Registry managers, BJ Searls asked me to supply the diameters of each of the components of the set. I had all of those sizes already, so I supplied them and so the Digital Album for that set does show the relative sizes of the medals. For a set of 180 medals, it may take some time for the Registry to implement them, but it should work if you supply the diameters! :)

edited October 16, 2019 1:56PM

Yes, BJ was also the key person to get this set started up and she did a great write-up on them as well. I will get David Talk @setregistrymanager a complete list of the 182 PCGS numbers and diameters today.

• @cardinal said:

Hi @cardinal

You are correct, the Digital Albums and Showcases are based on the information tied to each coin number in CoinFacts, specifically the size of each coin/medal/token.

If there is a specific set that you have created a digital album or showcase for, that does not look like it is sized correctly, and you have the sizing information available to provide to PCGS, please email the information to SetRegistry@Collectors.com and put it to my attention.

In your email, please provide a link to the set composite in question and if possible, please provide the PCGS coin number, description of the coin and the diameter of the coin(s) in millimeters. As our team manually updates this information when it is provided, depending on the number of coins it may take a few weeks or months for the sizing information to be updated.

For example;
    1918-D 5C, coin #3938, diameter 21.20 MM

As always, should you experience any issues with your Digital Album or Set Registry in general, please email our team at SetRegistry@Collectors.com so that we can assist you.

Happy Monday! :smile:

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager

@SetRegistryManager said:

@cardinal said:

Hi @cardinal

You are correct, the Digital Albums and Showcases are based on the information tied to each coin number in CoinFacts, specifically the size of each coin/medal/token.

If there is a specific set that you have created a digital album or showcase for, that does not look like it is sized correctly, and you have the sizing information available to provide to PCGS, please email the information to SetRegistry@Collectors.com and put it to my attention.

In your email, please provide a link to the set composite in question and if possible, please provide the PCGS coin number, description of the coin and the diameter of the coin(s) in millimeters. As our team manually updates this information when it is provided, depending on the number of coins it may take a few weeks or months for the sizing information to be updated.

For example;

As always, should you experience any issues with your Digital Album or Set Registry in general, please email our team at SetRegistry@Collectors.com so that we can assist you.

Happy Tuesday @SetRegistryManager

In regard to diameters, I wonder if there can be an option when there is a large disparity among the items in a digital album. As it is now, it seems that the largest item in the album has a limit, and that all of the smaller items are scaled in comparison to that largest item.

The Libertas Americana Medal set has that issue - with the diameters ranging from 34mm to 100mm. Check out the digital album for that here:

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/album/146364

As you can see, due to the size of the Kilo medal, all of the rest of the images are quite small, leaving a lot of blank space. On my computer screen, the smallest item (a 1oz Gold medal at 34mm) is displayed at 12mm.

Would it be possible to have an option that the user can choose between either two or three options:
    1) The default could be scaling based on the largest item;
    2) An option to have the scaling based on the smallest item; or
    3) An option to have the scaling based on the average of the largest and smallest items. (This option might be difficult to program.)

Thanks!!

• @cardinal said:

@cardinal said:

Hi @cardinal

For example;

In regard to diameters, I wonder if there can be an option when there is a large disparity among the items in a digital album. As it is now, it seems that the largest item in the album has a limit, and that all of the smaller items are scaled in comparison to that largest item.

The Libertas Americana Medal set has that issue - with the diameters ranging from 34mm to 100mm. Check out the digital album for that here:

As you can see, due to the size of the Kilo medal, all of the rest of the images are quite small, leaving a lot of blank space. On my computer screen, the smallest item (a 1oz Gold medal at 34mm) is displayed at 12mm.

Would it be possible to have an option that the user can choose between either two or three options:
    3) An option to have the scaling based on the average of the largest and smallest items. (This option might be difficult to program.)

Thanks!!

Thank you for the feedback @cardinal

I will send this over to our IT team as a suggestion for the future.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager

@cardinal said:

@cardinal said:

Hi @cardinal

For example;

Thanks!!

Thank you for the feedback @cardinal

I will send this over to our IT team as a suggestion for the future.

Thanks @SetRegistryManager !!! :)

This discussion has been closed.