Home Q & A Forum

Eisenhower Dollars

I love Ikes. Do a lot of other people like and collect them?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forum @ron2870 .

Yes, people collect all types. Ike’s are one of them.

Peruse through CoinFacts

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/ike-dollar-1971-1978/31

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are big and it is nice to have some collectable versions but also a few circulated ones to handle.

• Lol i know. I have a 72 s pr70dc fs-101 there are only 3.

• lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

ike dollar is big, fun, and nice to have in your hand.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of all they don't cost an arm & a leg. Plus, there is still research to be done and cherrypicking is possible. Have you joined the IKE Group and bought some reference books yet?

• Yes and yes. Thank you

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ron2870 Welcome to the forum! :)

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish that Coinstar would take (and give credit for) Eisenhower Dollars!

I guess it does take them.

@ron2870 said:
    Lol i know. I have a 72 s pr70dc fs-101 there are only 3.

Time to show, please. Post ‘em in the US Coin forum.

• KristalmKristalm Posts: 7
    edited November 11, 2019 11:15AM

I love collecting Ike dollars. I have a very unique looking one I could use some input on. Is this where I can post it? I've been collecting since I was young but recently have become more focused on collecting different varieties an error coins. Here is a picture of the Ike I have.

@Kristalm said:

I love collecting Ike dollars. I have a very unique looking one I could use some input on. Is this where I can post it? I've been collecting since I was young but recently have become more focused on collecting different varieties an error coins. Here is a picture of the Ike I have.

Welcome to the CU forums @Kristalm.

This is the Question and Answer forum.

For the general US Coin forum you can post here: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

• CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@Kristalm said:

It looks to me like it had acid spilled on it and was left for awhile.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my personal favorites:

peacockcoins

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CollectorBonEZ said:

@Kristalm said:

It looks to me like it had acid spilled on it and was left for awhile.

Looks like it.
    Might be ex: Timothy Leary

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the only Ike I have left. The thief didn't get all my coins, or thought it wasn't worth much.

Ken
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 8:27PM

I was recently at a flea market. The guy who was set up was a friend of mine, hadn't seen him for a long time. I was at his table for a long time and we talked (and he didn't push me along, he knew that I would buy some 90% silver before leaving).

A prosperous looking retired gentleman enquired about a common Eisenhower dollar in my friend's showcase. My friend said $1.25 each. The gentleman asked how many do you have? My friend politely said 'I believe that I have 100 pieces with me, and I could have 400 more at the next show here (a short time in the future)'. The prosperous older gentleman was quite shaken up, possibly confused. He left with no coins of any kind. I didn't pick up a strong feeling, but I guess the gentleman thought they were worth rather more.

My friend is possibly hurting himself by even displaying Eisenhowers. I would have guessed that the older gent would have purchased something and my friend has a strong U.S. coin inventory up to some $300 widgets, very appropriate to the flea market crowd.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never got into that coin.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I was recently at a flea market. The guy who was set up was a friend of mine, hadn't seen him for a long time. I was at his table for a long time and we talked (and he didn't push me along, he knew that I would buy some 90% silver before leaving).

A prosperous looking retired gentleman enquired about a common Eisenhower dollar in my friend's showcase. My friend said $1.25 each. The gentleman asked how many do you have? My friend politely said 'I believe that I have 100 pieces with me, and I could have 400 more at the next show here (a short time in the future)'. The prosperous older gentleman was quite shaken up, possibly confused. He left with no coins of any kind. I didn't pick up a strong feeling, but I guess the gentleman thought they were worth rather more.

My friend is possibly hurting himself by even displaying Eisenhowers. I would have guessed that the older gent would have purchased something and my friend has a strong U.S. coin inventory up to some $300 widgets, very appropriate to the flea market crowd.

He likely had a bunch at home and thought he could sell them and move to Arizona on the proceeds.