Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do you build a collection when you can’t narrow your focus?

2»

Comments

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's got to be a reason or two why one coin stands out over another, understand what that is and build on it.
    New words and terms will develop and stay with you for the rest of your life. Establish contacts and friendships with those who actually help/benefit you. Be patient, resourceful and kind and in time, you will be able to give back to others as it was shared with you.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=B478E291DE0579B6BCEAB478E291DE0579B6BCEA&ru=/search?q=is+anybody+out+there+lyrics+neil+diamond&qs=NW&pq=is+anybody+out+there+lyrics+neil+d&sk=NW2&sc=4-34&cvid=CD56EAA28CF941D88895851CEC928FDD&FORM=QBRE&sp=3

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun, then have fun and then really have some fun!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:

I see people talking about building a set with nice original surfaces and I don’t know how to look for that. I don’t have the experience. How do I gain that if I build a type set that only requires a couple examples and then I move on to a different coin?

If you really want to learn how to grade, don’t specialize. The best way to learn how to grade anything is to learn how to grade everything. Not one series at a time, but all series simultaneously. You don’t need to become an expert grader overnight. Just learn how to look at coins, keep looking at coins, and everything will start falling into place.

As for focusing, at least for now, I’d suggest limiting yourself to a specific number of coins. When you’re getting close to your limit, sell a few coins. The experience will be an education in itself.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin collection is what you want it to be. That's a great thing about this hobby. The box of 20 is a nice Idea but really you should pursue what moves you no matter how many and your budget will allow.

The most important thing to do before you buy a high priced 'keeper' is to educate yourself on the prize you are pursuing. That way you will be here for years to come and hopefully share your additions from time to time.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent point - learn, research, learn some more - then purchase, you'll be happier in the end.

• NapNap Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you cannot focus, buy slowly. With time, your focus may narrow.

In the end, there are so many cool coins and you just can’t have them all.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all again. I do have several of the coin design specific Whitman books, I should spend more time perusing them, a lot of great information there. I’ve got a couple books on grading as well. On the right track I guess :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• That collection above: wow. Getting lot's of ideas from that. Tanks for posting!

• All really great perspective. Lot's to consider. One other thought, a coin doesn't even have to be valuable for me to like it. I like Kennedy Halves, and have a collection of ones that have turned different colors: some turn red, some black, some others really interesting weird shades and patterns. They are like accidental communal art..or something. I'm thinking about what the coin means to us as Americans, why we made the coin, how it was affected as it passed through different hands, or got stuck on a vault shelf for years at a time. Thinking about cool and meaningful ways to display them, incorporating woodcarving (which I also like), or metalwork (which also like).

Okay so now everyone knows what a dweeb I am.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file