Home Q & A Forum
Options

Renren54 America the beautiful coin 2012 D

Hidden stuff in my coin ? Lots of findings

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for me to get new glasses! B) I'm gonna have to trust you that is a quarter.

• Options

The quarter

• Options

His side has a slice in it to haven't seen this in any others i looked at on line eather

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Time for me to get new glasses! B) I'm gonna have to trust you that is a quarter.

• Options

The mark on the side of the body looks like PMD. :/

Keep searching & good luck! :)

• Options

Your coin does have a very slight misaligned die or off center reverse. :)

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not seeing anything unusual. The mark on the side of body is a ding, like @ifthevamzarockin said. As to hidden stuff, just normal circulation.

As you learn about the minting and die making process, you'll understand that that there are only a limited numbers of ways random marks can be caused by the mint and they are usually easy to identify (die chips, strike through, clashed dies, etc). You have none of those. But it's easy to pick up damage in circulation that would make an enthusiastic new collector think they found something.

If you're going to look for errors in change, you really owe it to yourself to learn the minting process. It takes some effort, but the more you know, the more time you'll have to look for real errors and less time you'll waste looking at PMD.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019 2:58AM

Blurry
    Trees
    Post mint gouge

Typical pics on the forum.

Keep up the hunt, it takes thousands maybe millions of coins then you hit the jackpot.

After grading, authentication, shipping, insurance, auction and other fees you net a few dollars; maybe a few hundred dollars.

Don’t forget to pay your federal, state, and local taxes (if applicable.)

You are primarily doing this for the pure joy of collecting and the history of coins and not trying to make money, right?

Better odds at Vegas. :D

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD dipped in acid

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very common twenty-five cent coin, fresh pulled from pocket change/seven years of heavy usage. It will never be anything more.

• Options

looks like a die break from the last "a" in Alaska all the way across the coin to the other rim just a little above the "m" in unum. You can clearly see that with just your naked eye! Right across the animals hind leg right where he's saying he sees something funny. It prob has been cracking for a while and peices chipping off and deforming the die and thats the random stuff your seeing in the feild next to the length of the die break. And you guys telling him he's seeing things. Wth?

• Options

With? Between the n and u in unum there's a crack meeting up with the first one I was talking about and another crack going through the entire word of Denali going through the left side of the mountains and coming back to the rim above the a in Alaska. It looks like its about to shatter. If you could get the pictures clearer I'm sure you would see alot more

• Options
    Purple_sticky_punchPurple_sticky_punch Posts: 37
    edited May 13, 2020 7:23PM

first a in Alaska to the u in unum, before the d in Denali across the animals face to the m in unum. Lol still think its pmd or dipped in acid? That one guy said you would have better luck winning the lottery and you need to learn how coins are minted. I wonder if they even look at the pics or just randomly type bs?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Purple_sticky_punch said:
    looks like a die break from the last "a" in Alaska all the way across the coin to the other rim just a little above the "m" in unum. You can clearly see that with just your naked eye! Right across the animals hind leg right where he's saying he sees something funny. It prob has been cracking for a while and peices chipping off and deforming the die and thats the random stuff your seeing in the feild next to the length of the die break. And you guys telling him he's seeing things. Wth?

You must have much better eyes, because I can’t see anything resembling the die cracks you reference. I see some design elements from the mountains and distant tree line. Also, the vertically oriented gouge/ding on the animal’s midsection, which is PMD.

I’m at a loss to understand why you’re saying it’s clear in the pics.

Here is a pic from PCGS Coin facts. Could the cracks you see be part of the design and just appear as something else due to the harsh lighting and blurry focus?
    https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/26270651_30968807_2200.jpg

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree.

Seven month old thread revived for no reason.

It's still PMD and worth 25 cents.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Dall Sheep.