Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1958 Topps Football -- Break the set?

Rosatos_HotelRosatos_Hotel Posts: 15

I have a '58 Topps set that I'm willing to part with. Many of the cards are high quality, but suffer from centering issues. The Brown rookie came back a PSA 6 (it's slightly off center), the Starr is PSA 8(OC) and the Unitas PSA 6 (this one puzzles me as I think it could be a 7. It's off center but w/in the 7 parameters.) The Packers Team card will probably grade out 8 or higher. I do not have the felt card or the checklist card that came from the set.

I want to maximize the value/sale of the cards. My question: Would I get more breaking the set and selling off the high grade cards individually, or keeping the cards together and selling the set? A couple of dealers told me recently that "nobody buys sets anymore." Instead, everyone is chasing the high value cards. I'm not sure what to believe.

As a bonus, I have the Topps box that held these cards while for sale on the counter of my grandparents store (5 & Dime they operated in Pittsburgh in the 50's and 60's) that I would include with the sale of the set, if that helps.

Comments