Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What type of doubling is going on here?

Is this an example of machine doubling or doubled die? Guatemala 1962 50 Centavos. I have a few of these coins and I only have noticed this on three of them. This is the most pronounced while the other two seem a bit fainter. I have other coins that appear to be clearly machine doubling, but this seems different.

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Flat, shelf-like" is an indicator of MD. Can't imagine a more clear example if this.

In theory it could be a DD but need to definitively rule out MD or deterioration.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is MD (machine doubling)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    PlatinumDuckPlatinumDuck Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies. Its kind of hard to see in the photos, but at least on the numbers (like the 0.720), there seems to be small lines of raised metal (the shadowy parts), then space in between that and the numbers. It just struck me as different from the other machine doubling I have noticed on various Guatemala pieces. But the more I look at it I think you are both probably right and its just machine doubling. Just wanted to check. Thanks for your comments! I appreciate it.

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I think mechanical (machine) doubling as well.

http://doubleddie.com/144822.html

• Options
    PlatinumDuckPlatinumDuck Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

@syl said:
    I think mechanical (machine) doubling as well.

http://doubleddie.com/144822.html

Thanks for that link. It is very helpful!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PlatinumDuck said:
    Its kind of hard to see in the photos, but at least on the numbers (like the 0.720), there seems to be small lines of raised metal (the shadowy parts), then space in between that and the numbers.

You're not crazy - I saw that too. That was the only thing holding me back from 100% MD, so I figured 99.99 % MD, But it is still an interesting anomaly.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much md on a nice clean coin. Nice find. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall