Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Britain 1970 Penny, A Rarity?

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 8, 2019 12:32PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Generally, not at all. But this one is a [dated] double reverse coin that was struck with medallic orientation. It weighs 9.4 gm as it should and there is no seam either around the edge or to the inside of the rim to either side. Never seen it before but will have it certified and probably by our hosts.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

pretty cool! I agree with having PCGS certify it.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Medallic orientation is also called British orientation because you turn the coin left or right instead of up or down to look at the reverse.

But the double reverse with the notable exclusion of HRH is something that makes one ponder if someone in the BRM was making errors on purpose ca. 1969-71 when the proofs were created. Thence one ponders if the piece does have a seam that was cleverly obliterated.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Edge looks pretty good:

Quite similar to the edges on the two “normal” 1970 pennies. I agree about mint sport.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is almost no reason to talk about it here until slabbed. Its either real or it isn't.

If it is, post the results for a victory lap! :p

• Options

Ah, thanks for a vote of confidence there. Actually, I think the opinion of Mark Rasmussen would carry more than a little weight as he would be one expert our hosts defer to, so I will take exception to the comment.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the wavy image along the edge indicate anything? Otherwise this coin is most interesting. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I don't think so as in hand this does not appear a concern. Still, I'll rest better with a certification despite several Brit dealers giving it a "thumbs up".