Home Sports Talk
Options

Watched a couple innings of baseball this weekend.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of the season. It had a mechanical feel to it. Not so much a team sport as an individual effort.

Batter looking for the fence and pitcher looking for the k.

I'll try again when the WS sytarts. Maybe things will loosen up a bit.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    First of the season. It had a mechanical feel to it. Not so much a team sport as an individual effort.

I wouldn't want a pitcher looking for anything else! Batters should be looking for anything that will help score runs and NOT make an out. But the K should be what the pitcher is always looking for.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Musta just missed that octo-play then! Took a sec, but marvelous. 😉

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

I wouldn't want a pitcher looking for anything else! Batters should be looking for anything that will help score runs and NOT make an out. But the K should be what the pitcher is always looking for.

All that is true. My point is it seemed like a two man game...not 18. Well i guess it was four ment when the catcher and ump are included.

• Options

It's hard for me to watch a Baseball game from start to finish.......just too little going on most of the time. Back in the 70's I could watch the "Big Red Machine" but now.....NOPE.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    It's hard for me to watch a Baseball game from start to finish.......just too little going on most of the time. Back in the 70's I could watch the "Big Red Machine" but now.....NOPE.

Justacommem said it best when he noted that the days of simply watching a baseball game are over. You are likely to be on a computer of sort at the same time. As a stand alone no way could I keep my eyes open through 9 innings.

• Options

Thing is....I can have the game on and a computer on my lap...and still go to sleep! :o

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

But the K should be what the pitcher is always looking for.

only if the batter has two strikes, otherwise every pitcher is looking to fool a hitter into hitting the ball poorly, preferably on the ground at an infielder. some pitchers are good at it, others not really. there are two perfect innings, one takes three pitches and the other nine.

I would guess all pitchers would choose the former.

there's a scene in "Bull Durham" where Crash Davis goes out to the mound for a conference with Nuke Laloosh about pitch selection, fastball over curve ball. Nuke wants to throw the heat and "announce his presence with authority" while Crash wants him to throw a curve to induce a ground out because "ground balls are more democratic" and get the same result. Crash walks away, tells Nuke to bring the heat and then tells the batter.

he crushes a Home Run!!! :p

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great movie! I am not a big Costner fan, but he did a good job here!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Worst actor ever , except waterworld of all things

• Options

Tom Cruise is the worst actor ever.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Tom Cruise is the worst actor ever.

Cruise was ok in "Rain Man" otherwise he is just a grinning, cocky idiot.

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Worst actor ever , except waterworld of all things

Never saw "Waterworld" "Waterboy" was good.

I really thought Costner nailed it in "Bull Durham".

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I am not a big Costner fan..........................Worst actor ever..........................Tom Cruise is the worst actor ever.

no, the worst actor all-time might just be Nicholas Cage, the guy's pathetically laughable.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

World Series baseball is usually astronomically better than other baseball, IMO.

• Options

@keets said:
    I am not a big Costner fan..........................Worst actor ever..........................Tom Cruise is the worst actor ever.

no, the worst actor all-time might just be Nicholas Cage, the guy's pathetically laughable.

Judging actors is strictly an opinion. I can honestly say I have seen movies of all three that I liked.

• Options

@keets said:

First half of Leaving Las Vegas was pretty good.

• Options

tom cruise is great , best actor ever. He has the ability to act like a normal person in spite of being a wacko cult member in real life

• Options

Rainman was decent as Dustin Hoffman owned the screen.

Also contrasted how vacant Cruise is as an actor.

• Options

it's interesting that you'd criticize Tome Cruise for being vacant when that was the personality of the character he played in "Rainman" quite to a T, a man absent any compassion or empathy whatsoever.

• Options

He looked worse filming up with Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.

Fortunately he had Demi Moore to share the lousy acting award with. To her benefit, she was easy on the eyes back then. Cruise was merely a dolt.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Cruise and Costner are both getting better - still not great, but better - as they get older. Cage, if it's possible, is getting worse.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Soon each will be capable of doing a Mark Twain, one man show.

• Options

Rather watch a triple header than any recent Nicholas Cage movie.

• Options

Why does the network have to superimpose the strike zone on the screen next to the batter?

Watched a bit of the 4 hours plus Yankees, Houston game. Good game but too slow and too long.

• Options

@keets said:

it's interesting that you'd criticize Tome Cruise for being vacant when that was the personality of the character he played in "Rainman" quite to a T, a man absent any compassion or empathy whatsoever.

I CAN'T STAND Cruise most of the time, but I don't know if Hoffman inspired him or coached him up a bit, but I thought he did a great job in "Rain Man".

• Options

I CAN'T STAND Cruise most of the time.

have you ever seen "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise??

• Options
    edited October 14, 2019 6:22AM

Had to go back and watch the trailer to jog my memory. Good movie, I can't remember his performance (that probably means he was pretty good), maybe I'll watch it again.

He was good in "Collateral".

Tom and Kevin are ok actors most of the time, but were over rated because they were the leading men in some popular movies. Cruise was spot on as "Maveric" in Top Gun a great movie with a great cast, but I don't find him believable in most movies unless he's playing a grinning cocky idiot.

Costner never made too much sense to me as a top billed actor. He was in some very nice films and did a workmanlike job.

I know we are all supposed to hate Mel Gibson, but I think he is one of the great actors of our time. He can do drama and comedy, be an actor and a "movie star". No matter what I have seen him in, he seems believable.

Another shunned actor is Kevin Spacey. Phenomenal talent, but sounds like he's a jerk. I saw his appearance on the "Actors Studio" interview show. Amazing impressions. Fabulous actor. The backlash seems a bit over the top though.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3-56PKgIwuM

• Options

the spacey thing is a scam , the kid is not a kid and his mom deleted all the texts her son sent and just left the others. Said mom was a failed TV personality . The DA withheld evidence from the defense too, Spacey probably is a creep , but that was an attempt to rob his bank account and bandwagon on the metoo movement.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

I CAN'T STAND Cruise most of the time, but I don't know if Hoffman inspired him or coached him up a bit, but I thought he did a great job in "Rain Man".

When Brando cried Stella....one paid little attention to the rest of the movie screen. Hoffman was brilliant actor, Cruise was an adequate sidekick.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

When Brando cried Stella....one paid little attention to the rest of the movie screen. Hoffman was brilliant actor, Cruise was an adequate sidekick.

No argument, but I saw an actor years ago say that the guy "chewing up the scenery" wasn't necessarily the better actor, in fact they are sometimes simply mimicking something.

Hoffman's performance was wonderful, but I think HE was the sidekick in this movie as far as acting goes. Cruises' character evolves from a total ass to something completely different in a smooth unnoticeable way, while Hoffman nails his part, it remains static, (as it should have) as much as I am unimpressed with Tom, I think he steals the movie.

Next time you watch it, don't be focus so much on Hoffmans (brilliant) mannerisms, but keep an eye on Cruise, who we hate at first, but somehow we grudgingly like, and even feel sorry for him by the end of the movie. At least I did.

• Options

Cruises' character evolves from a total ass to something completely different in a smooth unnoticeable way.
    Joe, this is exactly along the lines of what I almost posted. the movies I enjoy most are ones where there is a transformation in one of the characters, typically the lead. it's why Tom Cruise was so good in "Jerry McGuire" but so easily overlooked or disliked in "The Color of Money" while Paul Newman's character morphed. it's one of the reasons why Kevin Costner appealed to me in "Dances With Wolves" as he set out early in the movie to do just that.

there are even some old Westerns where the main character changes, John Wayne did it "The Searchers" if you pay attention.

• Options

@keets said:
    Cruises' character evolves from a total ass to something completely different in a smooth unnoticeable way.
    Joe, this is exactly along the lines of what I almost posted. the movies I enjoy most are ones where there is a transformation in one of the characters, typically the lead. it's why Tom Cruise was so good in "Jerry McGuire" but so easily overlooked or disliked in "The Color of Money" while Paul Newman's character morphed. it's one of the reasons why Kevin Costner appealed to me in "Dances With Wolves" as he set out early in the movie to do just that.

there are even some old Westerns where the main character changes, John Wayne did it "The Searchers" if you pay attention.

If you didn't see the change in Wayne in the Searchers.....you didn't even see the movie.

• Options

"The Searchers" is a classic!

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Try to watch some of these games but they are on too late....can't get to the end. Last night's Yanks/Astros game a prime example. Great game, well played, tight game but had to turn off as I was falling asleep. Am I correct in saying that the times are made to accommodate the west coast audience?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Try to watch some of these games but they are on too late....can't get to the end. Last night's Yanks/Astros game a prime example. Great game, well played, tight game but had to turn off as I was falling asleep. Am I correct in saying that the times are made to accommodate the west coast audience?

Well it started at 8:08, so in a sane world it would be over by 11.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

The timing is idiotic, tomorrow's game starts at 1:08pm on the west coast. Without a single team still in it west of Central time, I highly doubt they're catering to a west coast audience.

• Options

these umpires are terrible. have been for a while, but that “foul tip” by sanchez last night and two of soto’s strikes just now werent even remotely close.

sanchez just said “foul tip” when it was a solid foot away and he believed him.

craziness.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

Well it started at 8:08, so in a sane world it would be over by 11.

Not by today's standards!. Especially playoff games, every move is drawn out, extra sponsor time, and then add extra innings to boot,

• Options

Actually last night's game wasn't too bad. Not very exciting as the Nats just keep steamrolling anything in their path, but good pace to the game. Strasburg had it going last night.

• Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I'm a Cardinals fan, but I found myself rooting for Sanchez to throw a no hitter the other night (7 2/3 is quite the feat in itself). Personally, I find epic pitching and flawless fielding to be way more exciting than watching them play tee-ball.

• Options

In the playoffs especially. I was lucky enough to be at CBP when Doc threw his playoff no-no against the Reds. The place was just rocking from the 7th inning on. Only two in MLB history.

• Options

Wouldn’t have this 20 min delay with robo-umps at least.

• Options

No baseball tonight. Better that they call it off now than try to play thru if it slows down a little.