Home Sports Talk

Acuna will start tonight

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

way to send a message to both your team Snitker. At the very very least, Acuna should not be starting tonight, and probably should not be playing at all. one playoff game is a small sacrifice to possibly set a player strait for the rest of his career and show the rest of the team the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back. There is absolutely no way lack of hustle like that should be tolerated. Rediculous.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah that was all over the local news here this morning. After the benching a few weeks ago you'd think it would have stuck to not slow-roll the bases....especially in the playoffs.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019 11:43AM

so he "dogged" on an inconsequential play and celebrated on a big hit two innings later, everyone just dislikes the guy. I figure he won't lose any sleep over it.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019 12:32PM

See the “definitions” thread a few posts down. It’s the playoffs. Im starting to think he’s just dumb as a box of rocks.

he’s been talked to, yanked from a game, yelled at in the dugout, then benched for a full game, allowed an inside the park homer by being flashy in philly, let two home runs get by him because his chains hit him in the face while jumping, trots on that single last night he thought was a home run costing his team a run and so forth and so on. he just doesnt get it.

crazy thing is if you just looked at the box score only, you’d think he killed it last night.

if you watched the game, you know the only thing he killed was the braves chances of winning and team morale.

everyone is pissed. fans, freeman, donaldson, snitker, tbs announcers, espn and even his best bud, albies. everyone is on his ass, as well they should be. he most certainly should not be starting, in my opinion.

i think that was the final straw in many peoples eye. it will be interesting to see what happens from here.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing is that benching him puts the Braves in a worse position to win. The kid can play and gives them a better chance to win with him playing. You put your most talented players on the field when you need to win.

it’s a doubled edged sword. but considering this isnt even remotely an isolated incident and its the playoffs, we shouldnt even be having this discussion.

even forest gump knew when to run.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Braves pitchers also gave up a total of 6 runs in the 8th and 9th innings. That's pretty bad.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen him play until last night. All I saw was he turned a double (maybe) into a single by admiring his hit. He did hit a HR later. I don't know what the answer is. But you have to play him now. If he doesn't come around I would send him packing after the playoff's. As far as the jewelry goes........I think it is dumb to wear any when playing any sport and I would not allow it if I was in charge......PERIOD!

You just can't allow 6 runs to be scored in the last two innings. That's just ridiculous. I mean, 6 freakin runs? Really?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

STL was lucky to win that game alright. But you know what Yogi says. B)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acuna didn't lose the game, braves pitching did. he almost helped them win it in the 9th, though.

oh yeah, Forrest Gump didn't really know when to run despite the assertions of artee. go re-watch the movie and think the following: "Run, Forrest!!"

he didn't know when to stop either.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

You want to bench a guy whose arguably your best player for lack of hustle in a game that essentially makes or breaks your season and 6 months of team work? Now is the time to win not send messages.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    STL was lucky to win that game alright. But you know what Yogi says. B)

"I'm smarter than the average bear, boo boo."

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

never said “bench” him. considering he’s the lead off.

just dont start him.

and you dont seriously consider him the best player on the braves, do you grote? over veterans like freeman or donaldson? but when talking playoffs, i would put team morale over any single player regardless of rank.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freddie Freeman is the player I always hoped Eric Hosmer would turn into but never did.

I don't have anything against Hoz, he was a great team leader during the Royals two year run,
    but always thought his numbers could have been better.

Freeman is outstanding!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

as for all the bullpen talk, come fellas. its the braves. bullpens falling apart has been the epitome of the franchise since the ‘90s.

all the more reason to hustle after everything. if sid bream could do it.

edited October 4, 2019 6:47PM

@artee said:
    never said “bench” him. considering he’s the lead off.

just dont start him.

and you dont seriously consider him the best player on the braves, do you grote? over veterans like freeman or donaldson? but when talking playoffs, i would put team morale over any single player regardless of rank.

I said arguably. I would agree that Freeman and Donaldson are better right now but Acuna is close and at age 21 is only going to get better. There is no doubt he is one of the best hitters on the Braves, though, and that they are a better lineup with him in it and you don't punish the team by benching a player like that in a pivotal game in the postseason.

Perhaps they should try and trade him in the offseason if they really feel sour about him. I'm sure they'd get a nice return in exchange for him.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Lets call the mets manager and find out what he would do?

And Next thing youre gonna tell me is youre an authority on unopened, love 75 minis or something.

love you grote!

@artee said:
    Lets call the mets manager and find out what he would do?

And Next thing youre gonna tell me is youre an authority on unopened, love 75 minis or something.

love you grote!

No one has refilled that position yet, so it's anyone's guess! B)

Hotlanta got it done last night. Ronald ran harder on the bases in game 2.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grote don’t you blaspheme in here with that trade talk BS!

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

I’m all for Acuña taking a knee, and getting everyone’s panties in a bunch.

edited October 6, 2019 5:39PM

Gotta say, I think the media and teammates getting on him both personally and publicly got thru to him. He was really hustling on everything tonight.

Not only that, while visibly pissed with Martinez throwing some buzzing pitches, he kept his composure. Especially on that last one that was high and tight!