Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Halleygator -- been dethroned!

Geez -- I remember mentioning Don Louchious' amazing collection before -- but now that I see his HOF collection is up for view (and now the #1 collection), I am absolutely amazed.

Simply a truly amazing run of cards -- with multiple cards being worth over $50 - $100k each.

Check it out
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that. His collection is truly amazing. A Koufax rookie in PSA 10 and a T206 in PSA 10. Unbelieveable.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Wow...that set should be displayed in Cooperstown...complete or not complete. Of course security would be a big issue.
  • Thanks a Lot, Schmitty....

You challenged him to move me out of first ... so I am blaming you for all the World's ills. image

At age 36 with 3 kids still to put through college in 10 years... I just can't justify spending what it would take to get my collection up to Don's level.

My only hope is that he eventually gets bored and decides to sell them off ... to ME!!!

My time in First Place was fun while it lasted. Technically, I COULD get back into FIRST place by going out and buying some high grade modern reprint cards of 19th century HOF'ers ... but that defeats the integrity of the Set Registry in my mind and I simply will not do it.
  • Halleygator...

Good for you !! Your Collection is amazing in its own right and just because it not #1 anymore does not degrade it in my eyes in anyway! I still think you should request a Hall of fame Rookie card set...

Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • HalleyGator - At least you are recognized as being the first to register a complete set (or at least up-to-date set since the HOF set is a "living" set) and a great set it is. I think the HOF player set is one of the greatest sets, not because it is comprised of the greats of the game, but because each set can/will be totally different. It is difficult to determine the better set, regardless of grade, which I think is great. It becomes a creative endeavor on part of the collector and your set has inspired me to begin a set. My direction is of course different from yours, as I will be searching through all the available cards of each HOF player and choosing my favorite card from the individual's playing days. I also feel that if the HOF set was appropriately weighted it may be a closer race. Regardless, you have an excellent set and one I would be proud to own.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Thanks for the support, guys!!

I hate to say that I "needed" it ... but it was sort of depressing to see myself fall like that.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I wish Don would post scans. Those grades are amazing.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Yeah ... scans ... yes... maybe that's my ticket!!

Maybe Don doesn't really own the cards, maybe he just went around pilfering PSA cert numbers at card shows for the past few years!! Hence, the lack of scans. That puts me back in first!!

Just kidding, of course... image
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I am absolutely in amazement of both sets.

Halley's is 100%, which is an amazing accomplishment. Points should be given for that.image

Don has some gem's in that set. If I could pick one, it would be the 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio PSA 10. Would love to see a scan of that one. It must be a beauty.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Truthfully, because of how great some of his cards are, it really doesn't feel as bad to get beaten out by such an awesome collection.

If (or I should say WHEN) he get that thing to 100% completion ... which he will since most of his needs are somewhat modern cards ... that collection will be the million dollar monster!!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Halley -- I truly think that your set is the better one for completion and for the best range of Hall of Fame Players -- amazing cards from many eras and scarce issues. I commend you greatly for all that you have done in completing your set -- all the more now that you have your Bid McPhee card to round it out.

The things that bother/amaze me with Don's set are:

1) It will be easy for a guy with such limitless pockets to add PSA 9 rookies of Bench, Bunning, Carew, Fisk, Neikro, Puckett, Ryan, Seaver, Smith, Sutton, Winfield and Yount

2) He has the only E92 card graded PSA 9 MINT ever. As it is -- there are only three PSA 8's from the entire set -- he has the only nine. He also have five of the nine E93's graded PSA 9 MINT ever. Not to mention a Joe D. PSA 10, a John McGraw PSA 10, a Koufax rookie 10 and some absolutely amazing turn of the century PSA 8's and 9's. The grades of the cards in his collection is unparalleled. The best of the best for those examples he has collected.

An eccentric, amazing collector with millions into his HOF set. To think that there are people out there who have more money than lawyers ;-)

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • I have more money ... I just also have a WIFE !! image
  • << I hate to say that I "needed" it ... but it was sort of depressing to see myself fall like that. >>

Hal,

I told you many moons ago, that if DL wanted the #1 slot - he would make it his. There really isn't much you can do when going head-to-head with a super-collector like that. Heck, he just registered some HOF'ers from the e93 set which just blew away my set (even when I add up the cards that I have but are not registered).

Since you said you wanted a HOF rookie set, perhaps you should request that and do your best to attain that. Then, with the other cards you have - you could register them under the HOF set.

But if you need something to take you out of this depression, maybe you should buy my 1928 Frojoy set and relish the thought of having the/a #1 set. image
  • Only a skinny 1915 Babe in PSA 7 or 8 could snap this funk....
  • << Only a skinny 1915 Babe in PSA 7 or 8 could snap this funk.... >>

If you wish to compete with DL, me thinks you best wait for a PSA 9 copy to be graded. image
  • By that time .... Babe Ruth will be about 15th on the All-Time Home Run list and his cards won't be worth a dime!! image
    Well -- at least Don is not being too proactive about updating his HOF set.

In the last week, he has only added a 1975 Robin Yount PSA 9 card and a 1948 Leaf Honus Wagner PSA 10 card.

There are only two PSA 10's from all of the 1948 Leaf set (for good reason, if you have ever seen high-end 1948 Leaf cards...), and I think I know where the other one is (Frank Gustine, a SP).

It just simply amazes me every time I see him add a vintage card like that Wagner to his collection. It's almost scary to think about what may follow....
  • Don was classy enough to send me an e-mail and let me know that he used my set as "inspiration" for his set....

I just wish that he wouldn't have been THAT inspired!!! image

He is indeed buying up some ultra-rare cards to finish his set ... so I will sit happily at #2.
    Halley:

He may have bought the Yount card -- but I doubt that he purchased the Wagner card recently -- I don't think that one just goes out and purchases a 1948 Leaf Honus Wagner PSA 10 card! But it is great that you could serve as an inspiration to another -- and both of your sets are equally amazing, each in their own way.
  • AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    Both of those sets are amazing. Halley, don't feel bad that your set is now ranked #2, you were the first and still the only one to finish the hall of fame set. I think it's great the Don Louchious' emailed you and said your set was inspiration. If you look at how many other hall of fame sets have been listed on the registry, it seems that your set was inspiration for a lot of collectors.

Has anyone else noticed the the T206 set that was listed as The Ultimate Challenge is now listed as Don Louchious. Another amazing set.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I would think that for this set that collectors are just listing the cards that they have from other sets(that's what I am doing) that they are collecting. Doubtful that many collectors are trying to collect this set. The same comment applies for the numerous "player sets". I would speculate that if Merkel and Fogle chose to list their cards in this manner that they would be second and third respectively behind Don.