Home Sports Talk
Options

For sale: 1998 Heisman Trophy- Ricky Williams...Any takers at $500K?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ This trophy has special value because it's the last trophy that's allowed to be sold. As the listing points out, every honoree following Williams has been required to sign away the right to sell his Heisman._

https://sports.yahoo.com/ricky-williams-heisman-trophy-auction-022950623.html

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

why would anyone want someone else's trophy?
    Unless ....... did he make it into a bong ?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea all set. It’s not like he is a HOF’er, I just don’t see the collectiblity with this but to each his own

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019 2:09PM

Ways around everything including 99 year leases, Wills & Trusts, Giftings, etc.

In the end they can sell it. But whoever bought it ends up getting hit w/ a barrage of legal dealings to the point it’s cheaper to part with it vs. fight it.

I almost bought a grammy once. So glad I didn't. The guy that did “win” it ended up donating it back to the music academy, stopping them and himself from any legal proceedings and now has two seats to the grammys for the next 10 years.

Point being, if you see any item like a green jacket, grammy, oscar or anything that remains property of the establishment via sale for auction, it’s guaranteed that you will end up losing it and eating whatever cost you paid the second it becomes public knowledge.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee, the cannabis addicted Ricky Williams and who knows what else he was smoking, snorting, or injecting, needed money and had to sell his memorabilia. What a big surprise.

Perhaps Mike Ditka would want to buy it? LOL

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< I almost bought a grammy once. >>>

Many years ago, I had a chance to buy the "gold record" that John Lennon was given for "Let It Be" for the price of 3k. Without telling the story, it was 100% genuine, that wasn't in any doubt whatsoever.

Lennon often gave away for free, things such as this to his friends because the awards and such were meaningless to him. And his friend had it for sale. 3k was a lot of money back then, and Let It Be wasn't exactly one of the Beatles finest albums, so i passed on it.

Sure wish I had bought it. I have no idea what that bad boy is worth today, but I'd be sure it's a lot more than 3k. :/

• Options

oh I have something that some idiot celebrity once had , if I ever sink to that level shoot me , in the stomach so I linger

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    oh I have something that some idiot celebrity once had , if I ever sink to that level shoot me , in the stomach so I linger

Do I have to let it linger?

• Options

@artee said:

@bronco2078 said:

Do I have to let it linger?

ya you are right best not to linger or maybe help will arrive and save me and I will start collecting something even dumber , like autographs :D or smelly game worn jerseys :D

• Options
    edited October 3, 2019 3:40AM

@bronco2078 said:
    ya you are right best not to linger or maybe help will arrive and save me and I will start collecting something even dumber , like autographs :D or smelly game worn jerseys :D

You know, I’m such a fool for you.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artee said:
    Ways around everything including 99 year leases, Wills & Trusts, Giftings, etc.

In the end they can sell it. But whoever bought it ends up getting hit w/ a barrage of legal dealings to the point it’s cheaper to part with it vs. fight it.

I almost bought a grammy once. So glad I didn't. The guy that did “win” it ended up donating it back to the music academy, stopping them and himself from any legal proceedings and now has two seats to the grammys for the next 10 years.

Point being, if you see any item like a green jacket, grammy, oscar or anything that remains property of the establishment via sale for auction, it’s guaranteed that you will end up losing it and eating whatever cost you paid the second it becomes public knowledge.

Last year I read an article in Golf Magazine that stated within Gary Player, the golfer, never has returned his Masters Green Jacket.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what Ricky Williams heisman trophy really looks like after years of smoking weed with Ricky.