Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did anyone notice Virg Marshall died 3 months ago? He was a great guy, humble, soft spoken, gracious

Obituary for Virgil Ralph Marshall III
Virgil Marshall, III age 84 of Wymore, NE, died on Friday, July 5, 2019 at Brookstone Village in Omaha. He was born the son of Virgil, II and Laverne (Vrooman) Marshall on February 17, 1935 in Wymore, Nebraska.

He was raised in Wymore and spent his entire life living and working in that community. He married his childhood sweetheart, Marilyn Chaplin. They were married for 54 years.

Following his graduation from Doane College, with a bachelors in history, he worked at Marshall Produce Company along with his father, eventually taking over management of the business. Virgil had an interest in coin dealing which then grew into a full-time business which he launched as “The Penny Merchant” and would be known nationwide. He was a lifelong member of the Wymore Church of Christ and also served on the board of Nebraska Christian College and Deaf Missions for many years. He was a man of strong faith in Christ, had a very generous heart, was known for his integrity and treasured his family and friends.

Virgil was is preceded in death by: his parents, Virgil, II and Laverne Marshall; and his wife, Marilyn Marshall in 2011.

He is survived by: his daughters, Debra (Patrick) Nicholson of Wakefield, NE., Linda (Mark) Chitwood of Elkhorn, NE and Karolyn (Richard) Milliken of Papillion, NE; ten grandchildren, nineteen great grandchildren; brothers, A. Paul and Richard Marshall; sisters, Dorothy Miller and Ruth Jones.

Funeral service will be held at 1 pm, Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at Wymore Church of Christ in Wymore, NE with Duane King officiating. Burial will follow in the Wymore Cemetery.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest In Peace

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had several dealings with him in the 1970s and again in the 1980s. Always straightforward. Always reliable. He was an asset to the hobby. RIP.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was noted in one of the latest issues of Coin World, within the last two or three issues.

I did not personally know Mr. Marshall, but his firm was nationally well-known with an excellent reputation. Big advertiser in many print publications for many years.

Requiescat in Pace.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019 7:14PM

Yes, very well-known. I had seen many advertisements in coin publications ever since my childhood.

Rest in peace 'Penny Merchant'! You were a pioneer and a go to dealer for generations of Lincoln cent collectors.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad! As a young adult about 40 years ago, I always ordered my “Red Books” from him. He’ll be missed.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭

Remember his ads very well
    Rest in peace

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. RIP Virg.

His website is still up:

http://www.virgmarshall.com/

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins I am pretty certain that one of Mr. Marshall's younger associates took over the business about ten years ago, IIRC that was mentioned in the Coin World obituary.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019 1:10AM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @Zoins I am pretty certain that one of Mr. Marshall's younger associates took over the business about ten years ago, IIRC that was mentioned in the Coin World obituary.

Good to know. He'll live on in the name of his company.

Looks like he had a full family with 3 daughters, ten grandchildren, nineteen great grandchildren.

Here's his FindAGrave page which seems to have much less info than the obituary above. Looks like an opportunity to add.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/200884048/virgil-ralph-marshall

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I had several dealings with him in the 1970s and again in the 1980s. Always straightforward. Always reliable. He was an asset to the hobby. RIP.

Me too......
    It's a little strange that, for some unknown reason,I was just thinking about him the other day......

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

My very first mail order transaction, back in the early 1970's, from one of his small
    CoinAge ads, The Penny Merchant if I recall. Some circ Lincoln cents.
    Later discovered that the 09P I ordered in the group was actually an 09P VDB.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virg and I co-instructed the Summer Seminar course "Flying Eagle, Indian and Lincoln cents" for many years. He was a very good person, very knowledgeable and loved coins.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virgil Marshall III was one of my first contacts in numismatics. His table was being manned by another member of his (direct or indirect) family at Dallas, TX a couple years ago. He is truly missed. RIP

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019 10:32AM

News to me. Virg was a nice man. He came into the shop a couple years back looking for hobo nickels.

I think his grandson took over his biz. RIP kind sir. .

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased number of Lincoln Cents from Mr. Marshall in the 70's & 80's. His service and quality was impeccable.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember his ads in Coin World from years ago, at least as far back as the '70s.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

RIP, sounds like a great man

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:
    Remember his ads very well
    Rest in peace

Virg Marshall...................The Penny Merchant.

Nice Guy. Honest Dealer.

I'll miss ya Virg. R.I.P.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry we never met - sounds like a fine man who will be missed by family and friends. Appreciate the news.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file