Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy

So I spent my entire weekend looking for a Joe Louis card that I just learned about. It is a 2008 Upper deck yankee stadium legacy historical moments Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling card. I was unprepared for the set. This set is HUGE. It contains over 6,000 cards, and is just a nightmare to encounter. Needless to say, I can't find the card I'm looking for, but I will continue to hunt. I am just still in shock at the sheer size of this set. If any set builders want to take a crack at this bohemoth, good luck. I read somewhere that the Guiness book of world records has or once had this as the biggest set in existence. It is a fascinating set, dig into it if you dare.

This is me after an encounter with this set.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upper Deck even built a display case for this entire 6,500+ card set to fit into. Wild stuff.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is crazy. I do like the look of the display case but it is bulky.

Yes, it is bulky. It is a fascinating set. It is supposed to chronicle every single home game ever played at the old Yankee stadium as well as other notable events held there.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

A site called the bench, a place where I do a lot of trading, started a project to complete that set years ago. They are at 6734 of 6742 which is 99.88% complete.

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/ysl.php?tabid=46

@nam812 said:
    A site called the bench, a place where I do a lot of trading, started a project to complete that set years ago. They are at 6734 of 6742 which is 99.88% complete.

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/ysl.php?tabid=46

That is crazy. I imagine it would be easier to climb Mt. Everest than it would to complete this set.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds intriguing - how were they distributed - boxes or?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:
    Sounds intriguing - how were they distributed - boxes or?

I'm not quite sure. I'm still doing a little hunting for a specific card in the set. It would appear that some of the cards listed on the checklist were canceled and never actually made. I'm referring to the 2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy Historical Moments insert card of Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling. There is also a Historical Moments insert of the band U2 that is on the checklist, but was never actually made. This set is mysterious in some ways.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have numerous ones of these. Never tried to assemble the set. If I come across the Joe/Max card I'll keep you in mind. Do you know the number?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited September 30, 2019 6:04PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I have numerous ones of these. Never tried to assemble the set. If I come across the Joe/Max card I'll keep you in mind. Do you know the number?

The number of the Joe/Max card is 1198-HM. If you do run across it, please let me know. Thanks.

• al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

These cards were inserts in all (I believe) Upper Deck products in 2008.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@al032184 said:
    These cards were inserts in all (I believe) Upper Deck products in 2008.

this is correct.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they finish the set, looks like they have four left. I’m really curious as to what it will sell for.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 11:50PM
  • tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I looked on ebay out of curiosity. What is the difference between the individual cards and the 100 card "sets" that seem to be available as well?
    kevin

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

The Bench has a stockpile of dupes that were from donations to the set effort. You MIGHT be able to prompt someone with access to check and see if they have a dupe of the card you need.

I was very active with the site when this effort started and I was really excited and proud of the effort made and was anxious to see how the auction would go and how much money would be raised for charity. However, the program was ultimately managed poorly and here it is over a decade later and they still have the set "in progress" and unsold. The guy holding the cards has gone MIA of late (not sure if he is holding the dupes as well) and nobody with any pull seems to want to get involved to remedy the problem last I checked in. Sad, really...

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    I looked on ebay out of curiosity. What is the difference between the individual cards and the 100 card "sets" that seem to be available as well?
    kevin

2008 Upper Deck Yankees Stadium Legacy Box Set is one of two 100-card abbreviated editions of the 2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy set. One set was distributed primarily to mass-market retail outlets, the other on the home shopping channel QVC. The design is similar to the pack-inserted cards, but with blue (retail) or (white) borders. The retail set was packaged as a Blaster box.

@mrmopar said:
    The Bench has a stockpile of dupes that were from donations to the set effort. You MIGHT be able to prompt someone with access to check and see if they have a dupe of the card you need.

I was very active with the site when this effort started and I was really excited and proud of the effort made and was anxious to see how the auction would go and how much money would be raised for charity. However, the program was ultimately managed poorly and here it is over a decade later and they still have the set "in progress" and unsold. The guy holding the cards has gone MIA of late (not sure if he is holding the dupes as well) and nobody with any pull seems to want to get involved to remedy the problem last I checked in. Sad, really...

Thanks for the help. I am starting to believe that the card I am looking for doesn't exist. Apparently Upper Deck kept changing the checklist to this set before production. They would add cards to the checklist and then take cards off of the checklist before production. According to the checklists, there is supposed to be a 2008 Upper deck yankee stadium legacy historical moments Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling card, and also a 2008 Upper deck yankee stadium legacy historical moments U2 (the band) card, but I think Upper Deck pulled these cards from production before the set was produced. Until I actually see a copy of either one of these cards, I'm skeptical as to whether they actually exist.