Home U.S. Coin Forum

Classic Head Large Cents?

RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a copper type of person i'm looking towards another short series of LARGE copper coins.
Except for upgrades I have almost exhausted my pursuit of my 2 Cent Piece collection, so I started looking at another of my favorite copper coins, and one of the toughest, the classic head LC series.
It's a short series (which I like) and I would have to lower my standards down from MS+++ to maybe...……...VF to EX (for a few coins).
So now I start perusing Classic Head LC coins on Ebay just for the heck of it, you know, just to get an idea of what to expect and I happen to see this...….

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1811-1C-LARGE-CENT-CLASSIC-HEAD-S-287-R2-VERY-FINE-30-PCGS-REALLY-NICE/132440118392?hash=item1ed60bd478:g:G3wAAOSwHp5bXi2v

Is my vision that bad?

Comments

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a fun series, in a needle-in-a-haystack buy 1-2 coins a year type of way. And imagine trying to collect them before the Internet!

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try looking at the Collectors Corner that PCGS offers.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like you said Jim, tough series indeed!
    Always one of the last holes to fill when I'm helping guys build type sets.
    Impossible to maintain any kind of stock of decent, reasonably priced examples.

Not sure what you mean about your vision being 'that bad'....that coin posted looks pretty solid
    for the grade, and this is a tough date in a tough series to find decent.
    Greg Hannigan, like a lot of the major EAC dealers, tends to charge top dollar for nice coins, so maybe it's sticker shock?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Very tough type due to planchet issues. A date run in EF40 would be impressive.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 7:59AM

Agree; even high VF would be impressive, as they tend to be few and far between....just look at the pops.
    Like other things that are scarce, the market isn’t as well defined as with more common coins.
    I was thrilled to acquire this ‘lowly ‘ but problem free Fine for my date set for a reasonable price:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over 2K it's a bit expensive IMO

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have debated a response . . . not ever wanting to kill bandwidth, but after seeing this for a couple days . . . I can't resist.

I love finding these in dealer's stocks in the wild. 95% are destroyed and would not certify, but there are a few . . . . I love to send in to our hosts even lower grades that will grade and come back. I keep a substantial stock in AG3 to VG8 . . .and if you are diligent, you can find them for $60-$80 or so.

I was able to find two VF25s and got them through . . . . my best 'scores' yet in the Classic Series.

Yes . . . undoubtedly the coin you look at first when analyzing a 7070 for quality. The toughest . . . . for many reasons.

Many of these planchets were used in the keels of three-masted ships over the Atlantic (weight and balance). They kept weight where it had to be during sketchy seas, but all these ships had enough leaks that 2-4' of water was in the bottom of the keel, swirling around the casks of planchets. Virtually ALL of the raw planchets had problems before they were even struck . . . so getting a solid, hard, problem free Classic is just one of American numismatics greatest challenges . . .

Bravo . . . I always like these threads that highlight a small but critical subset of our heritage . . .

Drunner

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that Large Cent is in the ballpark for that grade. Large Cents are the only classic series that I collect, and gosh they are cool coins! :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice Classic but I'm always skeptical of coins that have holders showing heavy handling. It's likely changed hands many times and should be reholdered to show better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file