Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card?

How do you tell a Wayne Gretzky RC from a reprint? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one you are showing is most definitely a reprint as it is missing the yellow blob on his left shoulder.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

I had heard about the yellow dot before and didn't see it on this card. Plus the edges don't seem to be very rough.
    But people are bidding on this card in an auction Saturday!. Thanks for the post guys.

https://www.liveauctionworld.com/COLLECTORS-HOCKEY-CARD-WAYNE-GRETZKY-1979-O-PEE-CHEE-PLEASE-VERIFY-AUTHENTICITY-BEFORE-BIDDING_i34334484

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019 6:00AM

Edited yet again. Changed my mind after remembering some advice from dear old Dad... “if you don’t have something nice to say about an auction house...”

Jim

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Of course, the old "we aren't sure if this is a reprint, so we'll sell it anyway" strategy. Must have found the card at an 'estate sale.'

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah this is clear fake. Above and beyond that, the Gretzky rookie is on my personal list of “never buy raw”, with others like the Fleer Jordan. Yes, the TPGs have issues and things get through, but some cards are just faked so much that even as an educated buyer I’m a raw stay away.

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 1:35PM

There are opc fakes with the dot and the first print blue line on the back out there.

https://ebay.com/itm/1979-80-O-Pee-Chee-Wayne-Gretzky-Rookie-REPRINT-Card-18-Nrmt-to-Mint/202737666698?hash=item2f341b4a8a:g:IW4AAOSwos5dMju~

You can still see how pixelated the image is though. His name, and team mainly.

• Options

For years I had heard that there were no reprints with the yellow dot, which I never understood. How difficult could it be to make a reprint card with the dot?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Also, the Gretzky card in that auction is about the most obvious fake I've ever seen. All it's missing is the word "reprint" on the back.