Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will This grade a 9?

stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2019 4:16PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'm working on this set. I have looked on eBay. The lowest I've seen this card is around $90. I sent one in and got a 8. I am trying to get every card in a mint 9. Does it get a 9? The what spots are not on the card. It was the scan.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It shouldn't. The centering TB is 70/30 on the best side.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

This card is very tough and notoriously PD. The speckles around his head and the Sonics will likely count you out of a 9, but if not, the centering and the bottom right corner may. I would say it is an 8 PD.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I’d give it a 20% shot at a 9.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Cs223406Cs223406 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭

For all of dale's, in addition to centering you have to REALLY have to check the surface as SS. Use ur iphone light.

(I've submitted several of these and the best I've done is a 9 PD).

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take card out of sleeve and scan against dark background.

T/B centering is a bit off.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super tough card. Honestly, your best option is to probably just buy a good looking 9. Might spend 2 times that submitting cards trying to get one.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Super tough card. Honestly, your best option is to probably just buy a good looking 9. Might spend 2 times that submitting cards trying to get one.

Agreed. I have had a really tough time submitting the Fleer Basketball 86 or 87. I have never submitted an 86 or 87 and got a 10 back!

If I submit my 86 Karl Malone one more time and don't get a 9 I will cry.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't submitted many 87's as most of the commons aren't worth the grading fee in 9 and some not worth that much more in 10. Done well on 86's over the years but no 10's at all for me. The last 2 86's I submitted were James Worthy that I purchased raw and got 9's on them.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    I’d give it a 20% shot at a 9.

This!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Haven't submitted many 87's as most of the commons aren't worth the grading fee in 9 and some not worth that much more in 10. Done well on 86's over the years but no 10's at all for me. The last 2 86's I submitted were James Worthy that I purchased raw and got 9's on them.

You have a good eye! Did you purchase the Worthy's online or in person?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

No

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

PSA 8 chaz