Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Offers to Buyers - Price realized is not correct

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2019 12:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't know if anyone cares, but I discovered something interesting today:

If I send an offer to a buyer with a reduced price and they buy it, the eBay page shows the original price as the "sold for" price not the reduced price. For example, using one of today's sales: I had a lot of postage listed at $155. I sent offers to the watchers at $147. One of the watchers bought it for $147, but if you go to the sold item on eBay it shows $155 as the sale price.

https://ebay.com/itm/352667223810?transid=1080274436022&ul_noapp=true

So, if you are using eBay for pricing, it is going to be off for any item sold that way and I don't see anyway to know that's how it sold. It's probably not a big deal for coins where I would be surprised to see more than a 10% discount. But I had some 25% discounted postcard items that sold and they are also wrong.

Comments

• Options

Here's a coin example that just sold. This coin actually sold for $308.75

https://ebay.com/itm/352695309773

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed it too.

I guess you’ll just have to report all the actual sales prices. :D

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use Watchcount for true pricing.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2019 1:06PM

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Here's a coin example that just sold. This coin actually sold for $308.75

https://ebay.com/itm/352695309773

...thanks, now I want Skyline chili ;)

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay goes over the top and out of there way to squeeze every penny they can out of the merchants using their site. It makes it real hard to turn a profit with them sometimes.

• Options

@CollectorBonEZ said:
    Ebay goes over the top and out of there way to squeeze every penny they can out of the merchants using their site. It makes it real hard to turn a profit with them sometimes.

A. That's what they should be doing.
    B. What does that have to do with this?

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

This is a known issue and eBay is aware of it. No idea if they plan to fix but it was unintentional as part of some other change. Really too bad since so many coins are sold via 'maoe an offer'. Beware of eBay prices realized for now.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info, thanks.

Not 100% positive but I believe you also get eBucks for the posted ask price and not for the reduced offer.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed ebay has made it harder to see prices realized? I regularly check that and it's not available now in a category search. The only way I have found to get around it is an advanced search and hope everything is listed correctly or it will not show up in the search.

As to the OP I have never seen ebay show the correct price for something sold via Best Offer. There used to be a work around but it is long gone.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you sort by price, I have found it puts them in the true "correct" order, not the original price that is shown.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a useful tool, folks:
    (Though some wouldnt like you to have it)

https://www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm

Just put in the item number, and you will see how much it really brought.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

I put one of my recently accepted best offers in and the value was accurate, but when I tried jmlanzaf's items, I got the original price, not the actual sale price noted above.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@DCW said:

I put one of my recently accepted best offers in and the value was accurate, but when I tried jmlanzaf's items, I got the original price, not the actual sale price noted above.

Offer from the seller may well be different than offers from buyers

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Has anyone noticed ebay has made it harder to see prices realized? I regularly check that and it's not available now in a category search. The only way I have found to get around it is an advanced search and hope everything is listed correctly or it will not show up in the search.

As to the OP I have never seen ebay show the correct price for something sold via Best Offer. There used to be a work around but it is long gone.

For best offer it at least shows that it sold that way. For the offer from seller, it doesn't indicate that it sold on any way other than BIN

• Options

Yes, that would explain it.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@DCW said:

This tool is for the actual selling price

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@DCW said:

This tool is for the actual selling price

But it apparently doesn't work for seller offers

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you get audited by the IRS and show them what you got for the item. They go to Watchcount or Ebay (under 90 days) and get a higher number.....ooops, now explain that.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@DCW said:

https://www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm

Also there's WatchCount.com. Same thing, punch in item #, get actual Sold price. Pretty useful for determining values.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has WatchCount fixed their problems? Quit working for me awhile back so I stopped using it.

@RedstoneCoins said:

@DCW said:

Also there's WatchCount.com. Same thing, punch in item #, get actual Sold price. Pretty useful for determining values.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Has WatchCount fixed their problems? Quit working for me awhile back so I stopped using it.

@RedstoneCoins said:

@DCW said:

I'm not sure. Only one way to find out, try them out again.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@RedstoneCoins said:

@DCW said:

Yes, there's a link now to the left of the History one you used to click that says True Price here on ebay to reveal actual sale price.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@RedstoneCoins said:

@DCW said:

Yes, there's a link now to the left of the History one you used to click that says True Price here on ebay to reveal actual sale price.

Doesn't seem to work for this type of "offer".

• Options

@grote15 said:

Not when I tried this item number: 352695309773

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    So, you get audited by the IRS and show them what you got for the item. They go to Watchcount or Ebay (under 90 days) and get a higher number.....ooops, now explain that.

bob

It shows correctly in my sales history. It's just what the public can see that is incorrect.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@grote15 said:

They don't seem to be tracking that this is NOT a Best Offer issue. It's a Seller offer to the buyer.

• Options

If I had to guess, eBay made some sort of change to how they store their data and these third-party tools haven't caught up yet.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2019 7:10PM

@MasonG said:
    If I had to guess, eBay made some sort of change to how they store their data and these third-party tools haven't caught up yet.

There's a note on watchcount that they changed it in September which is very recent.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

e bay is trying to help the sellers out by doing this. if your a buyer it is hurting you, so you know who e bay likes the most :/

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info to know @jmlanzaf. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay has become deceptively complex to navigate over the last half dozen years. The veteran, regular users cannot keep up with the changes. God help the casual seller.

My first listing was in 2002. It was a common peace dollar which sold for about $35. Didn't have an image. Didn't have a store. No ads for competitors appeared on my page and I didn't have to hustler to get it mailed within a 12 hour window.

I turned a small profit on the sale. With today's fees, it would have been a small loss.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    e bay is trying to help the sellers out by doing this. if your a buyer it is hurting you, so you know who e bay likes the most :/

Oddly, the sellers think eBay is always out to get them.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2019 7:36PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@RedstoneCoins said:

@DCW said:

Doesn't seem to work for this type of "offer".

No, but it works fine for any best offer sale where the price has the line crossed through it. I always obtain the actual sale price this way on Watch Count. It worked for a while, then stopped working and now works again.

It will work for any best offer sale that comes up this way on ebay:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2019 7:31PM

@MasonG said:

@grote15 said:

That's not the kind of best offer sale it's designed to work for (see above).

• Options

@grote15 said:
    That's not the kind of best offer sale it's designed to work for (see above).

Apparently not.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just noticed on my credit card bill starting about a month ago, if I buy something for $30.49 it shows I pay the seller $28, and eBay $2.49 in a separate lime. The total used to be all that showed.

So it looks like the seller only gets $28 and eBay 2.49 in that example and the eBay rate varies. I think this might be the new way they track taxes? If so, then the seller still has to pay up to 10% w/o a store and about 3% PayPal, too.

If so, that is $6.13 taken out of $30.49 or 20%? So they get $24.36, on $30.49. I probably messed up, but it looks like you pay about 20% if you don't collect tax from the buyer to compensate some.

So if I buy a palladium from the Mint for $2,000 and sell it on eBay OGP to someone in a high tax state, I lose $400 plus say $25 more for shipping and insurance. if I can only sell at my Mint cost. I just saw another one sell for $200 below cost. Seriously are people figuring out they lose $500 if they buy a palladium to sell on eBay and it is not a 70? No wonder there are literally thousands of cancellations. I am still waiting for a return label after 4 phone calls, and 6 days!!

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

you must live in a non taxed internet state, otherwise the shipping and tax are on the 2nd payment. the sellers don't pay sales tax, the buyers do if they live in a internet sales tax state

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it can work to you favor as a seller and a buyer. Getting it at a discount is great but we don’t want cash flow issue sales degrading market prices. I’m ok with it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    I just noticed on my credit card bill starting about a month ago, if I buy something for $30.49 it shows I pay the seller $28, and eBay $2.49 in a separate lime. The total used to be all that showed.

So it looks like the seller only gets $28 and eBay 2.49 in that example and the eBay rate varies. I think this might be the new way they track taxes? If so, then the seller still has to pay up to 10% w/o a store and about 3% PayPal, too.

If so, that is $6.13 taken out of $30.49 or 20%? So they get $24.36, on $30.49. I probably messed up, but it looks like you pay about 20% if you don't collect tax from the buyer to compensate some.

So if I buy a palladium from the Mint for $2,000 and sell it on eBay OGP to someone in a high tax state, I lose $400 plus say $25 more for shipping and insurance. if I can only sell at my Mint cost. I just saw another one sell for $200 below cost. Seriously are people figuring out they lose $500 if they buy a palladium to sell on eBay and it is not a 70? No wonder there are literally thousands of cancellations. I am still waiting for a return label after 4 phone calls, and 6 days!!

With yields on these coins to buy a 70 you can expect to absorb the 69 losses. If your customer base wants top grade they will pay. The 69 is a raw in my mind. If I was building a set I would pay up the price knowing the mintage sales and yields will make this one low once it drops off the mint offering list. Just like all the Congratulations sets I still have in unopened boxes. It’s long game.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

on watchcount they say eBay changed their API feed on 9/14 ->

Note: (updated 2019-Sep-14) Items below that sold via Best Offer (BO) may not display accurate selling prices, due to a recent change in eBay's API data-feed (sadly, a permanent policy change, not a bug). This unannounced API update affects all 3rd-party developers. We know this is frustrating to some of our visitors, and we apologize; but this is out of our control. However... As a temporary workaround, we've included some inline links below that appear to often display proper BO pricing on an eBay item page (oddly, eBay login is required).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file