Home Sports Talk
Options

Mattingly Contract Extension

TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently the pool of available Major League BB mgrs. is rather thin to non
existent. Mattingly given a two year contract extension and the team has posted
a worse record each year than the previous year. Each year your posting more losses
than the year before and the team gives you a 2 year contract extension. What gives??

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it matters who managed the Marlins the last 2 years, they weren't going to be good. Just look at their 2018 and 2019 rosters. No manager could turn that into wins. In 2016 and 2017 he hovered just below .500 with a good offense but next to no pitching. He hasn't really been given a chance yet with a decent full roster in Miami. He had 5 good seasons in LA. I am not a fan of managers getting fired when ownership and GMs don't provide them with an MLB quality roster to work with for 162 games.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Mattingly has done an amazing job with the mess Jeter has dumped into his lap. One thing is for sure is that this strip the club slash rebuild concept better start coming to fruition for a lot of people's sake.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I agree. It’s really hard when you sell off your top talent and try to get fans to pay $8 a beer for minor league talent.

It pretty sad when the best thing he’s done is remove the spinning disco fish from the outfield stands.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor guy....I would do it for 1.5M! How much freaking money does a person need??!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2019 2:42AM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Poor guy....I would do it for 1.5M! How much freaking money does a person need??!!

It’s a pride thing. Mattingly gets 1.5 mill but some other Manager with a worse record gets 5 mill? If it were me I’d be a little annoyed

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It’s a pride thing. Mattingly gets 1.5 mill but some other Manager with a worse record gets 5 mill? If it were me I’d be a little annoyed

I wouldn't let pride get in the way of being a millionaire. ;)B)

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I was glad to hear that Don Mattingly was not blamed for the disaster of the Miami Marlins this year. Hopefully the team will steadily improve over the next two years.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good, i hope this increases the value of his Columbus Clippers baseball card. :)