Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

What’s an insert

I know this is probably a stupid question but I’m learning. What’s an insert card?

Comments

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

You have your base set. Then they have other "sets" they "insert" at random in the base set packs. All Star, numbered cards, different colors, etc. 1 per 36 packs for example a All Star card will be inserted.....1 per 100 packs will be chrome....

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

Thanks for the info

• Options

Hey could you show me what an all star car looks like Just to be on the right page. One more question how do u know if a card is an insert card if you didn’t open them yourself. Could you show me an example of that as well. Thanks it’s just all so confusing. Thanks for your time

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019 7:56PM

I find cardboardconnection.com to be a good reference for base sets, inserts, parallels, etc. They typically list the base set first with any parallels noted, then follow that up with the insert sets and their parallels.

Jim

• Options

Hi Jim- Ok now im going to sound real stupid, Whats a parallel? Is it another brand card but same year of the same player? Im female and trying to catch up with this stuff but I am learning a lot. Thanks again Jim.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

A parallel is a card that is identical to another, but it has a different color, and it may be serial numbered. This is an example of a regular base card, and it's parallel...

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2019 2:57AM

A good way to familiarize yourself with the various ways Topps has figured to monetize their product is to take a look at an overview checklist for a given set.

Take last years Topps Update set - complete with base, inserts, parallels, and even parallel inserts!

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2018-topps-update-series-baseball-cards

Each set these days is comprised similarly.

Parallels are a way for the manufacturer to produce a variety of the same card in increasingly rare types - meaning - base is the most plentiful and one of the parallels is usually a 1 of 1 - meaning - only 1 made.

yes, they got downright mid-evil on us collectors and have driven the hobby for the last 25 years with the thrill of the chase.

Good luck and enjoy what you collect!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

thank you so much for the info you taught me something new. So wouldn't it be a good thing to try and try to acquire parallels? I have another question and i wont keep bugging you. How come on eBay lets say you see a Michael Jordan card and the asking price is $ 600.00 and you keep scrolling and you see the same card for like $20.00. now thats a huge difference. I understand the grading thing I guess but how can there be such a huge difference

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Revecamdy said:
    thank you so much for the info you taught me something new. So wouldn't it be a good thing to try and try to acquire parallels? I have another question and i wont keep bugging you. How come on eBay lets say you see a Michael Jordan card and the asking price is $ 600.00 and you keep scrolling and you see the same card for like $20.00. now thats a huge difference. I understand the grading thing I guess but how can there be such a huge difference

It pretty much comes down to grading. People are going to pay more for a card if it's graded, and the higher the grade, the more it will cost.