Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

United Kingdom 1797 George III, 2 Pence , need some help please.

A friend approached me about the value of this coin.
As I have very limited (nearly none) knowledge about old (or new) brit coins, I promised her I would ask the experts on here.
She would really like to get an idea about its value and if there is a market for it. The coin was given to her by her mother many years ago.
Any help, grade etc and value would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 9:50AM

This is a handsome example of a very popular type. They are nicknamed "cartwheels" for their impressive size and weight. I believe they were the first (or at least some of the earliest) coins struck with steam power.

Here is the NGC data page (with prices derived from the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins).

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/great-britain-2-pence-km-619-1797-cuid-1150105-duid-1324577

Take those prices with the proverbial grain of salt. They seem incredibly high to me, but I last collected these about 20-25 years ago, so who knows. The NGC/Krause database is rife with errors, I'm afraid. Completed (sold) auctions on eBay might be a better guide.

Here is the Numista catalog listing, with some good general information about the type:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1287.html

Being so heavy, and because copper is a relatively soft metal, these are susceptible to rim bruising, which fortunately appears minimal on this example. I would call this example About Uncirculated by American standards (say, AU50), so it is a desirable coin.

Is there a market for it? Absolutely. I myself could be potentially interested, if the price were right, but in any event you could find a buyer for it here. Perhaps the others could make some honest suggestions on price.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question to the rest of the World Coin people- will PCGS put these in a standard (but thicker) holder, or would an oversized holder be necessary? I have found that the standard slabs seem to max out around 40mm. I have never owned a certified example.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know about PCGS, but NGC puts them in a regular but thicker slab. I own one.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    This is a handsome example of a very popular type. They are nicknamed "cartwheels" for their impressive size and weight. I believe they were the first (or at least some of the earliest) coins struck with steam power.

Here is the NGC data page (with prices derived from the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins).

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/great-britain-2-pence-km-619-1797-cuid-1150105-duid-1324577

Take those prices with the proverbial grain of salt. They seem incredibly high to me, but I last collected these about 20-25 years ago, so who knows. The NGC/Krause database is rife with errors, I'm afraid. Completed (sold) auctions on eBay might be a better guide.

Here is the Numista catalog listing, with some good general information about the type:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1287.html

Being so heavy, and because copper is a relatively soft metal, these are susceptible to rim bruising, which fortunately appears minimal on this example. I would call this example About Uncirculated by American standards (say, AU50), so it is a desirable coin.

Is there a market for it? Absolutely. I myself could be potentially interested, if the price were right, but in any event you could find a buyer for it here. Perhaps the others could make some honest suggestions on price.

Definately take the values with a big grain of salt. I'll sell you a MS61 coins for $450.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for your valuable input,
    My friend will have to decide what she wants to do.
    Last I spoke with her, she is looking towards selling.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Those prices would be close to correct (but still a bit high) if using British grading standards.... where a VF coin still has lustre. A US VF usually sells for around £50 to £60 in my experience. A US EF (british aVF perhaps) would go for perhaps £100 or a bit more I think. I don't have much experience with grades above that.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't seem to be selling for very much on ebay. Here is a quick search of sold listings on ebay. Most that look XF are selling for less than $100

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1797+George+III++2+Pence+xf&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1