Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1963 $1 note in circulation until today

Pleasantly surprised to get this as change from a machine transaction. Haven't seen a 56 year old note in a long time. It's not showing it's age. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were printed until 1969 when the series date was changed.

Reminds me of the few 1959 cents in BU condition that was recently posted on the coin side. This money sat somewhere for a long time.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    This money sat somewhere for a long time.

Agreed. Typically when older notes are found in circulation you can rest assured that they had an extended vacation from circulation for quite some time.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool. im glad its got a happy home now and retirement

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2019 4:39PM

Not too bad; nice find.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Pleasantly surprised to get this as change from a machine transaction. Haven't seen a 56 year old note in a long time. It's not showing it's age. Peace Roy

Nice transactional find. If printed in ‘69, then what a coincidence with your nickname.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

1963A notes were delivered between April 1965 and August 1969. The 1963B series ("Barr" notes) were printed in January 1969 and delivered throughout the year. The 1969 (new series date) printing started after the 1963B Barr notes, early in 1969 and deliveries started in July 1969.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of years ago I got 7 consecutive Series 1963 $1s in uncirculated at my credit union. They are out there.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

A 1963-A GB block note - Sweet!

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 Just found 3 sequential 1963 notes like yours. Are they worth getting graded? What is the value for uncirculated?

@bramn8r said:
    @Namvet69 Just found 3 sequential 1963 notes like yours. Are they worth getting graded? What is the value for uncirculated?

We will need to see scans or photos of the notes, or at least the serial numbers, including the prefix and suffix letters.

Thanks for the photo. These don’t meet my personal threshold for being graded. The grading fees would be more than the note’s value.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

Nice find. I have to agree with "Steve_in_Tampa" however as the top note doesn't look quite UNC to me & it appears to be from a common large run. There also appears to be slight foxing (or light stains) mostly along the borders.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember when those were first issued.