Home Q & A Forum
Options

1937 portrait token ID help

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

1937 portrait of woman token is 4.6g, 21.2mm. Obv has die break at rim to top of hair, curved engraved lines forehead at harline. Rev is blank except for rim design. Who is the smiling woman? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's better. Without any words on the token you are going to have a tough job, Nevertheless, I'll bet someone here will be of help.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freakish...

And what's that critter crawling up her shoulder?

All I can guess is that the date 1937 might mean something. :*

• Options

@JBK said:
    Freakish...

And what's that critter crawling up her shoulder?

All I can guess is that the date 1937 might mean something. :*

The piece is "signed."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Amelia Earhart disappeared on July 2 1937. No other noteworthy woman in the news that year. I'm just saying.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Not a very good likeness but it's a good guess.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

That might explain the short hair but not the frilly dress/top.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 6:17PM

@Namvet69

Amelia Earhart

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amelia Earhart did sometimes have a pixie-ish look (see Google Images), but I sure wouldn't bet my life on that ID.