Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1968 Mickey Mantle VS Mickey Mantle Game card..

Interesting. A PSA 9 of the 1968 regular card sales for $3,600 and psa 8 sales for $$850, while a PSA 9 game card sales for $700 and PSA 8 sales for $120. Let's look at the pop report:

1968 Topps #280 Pop 8 = 1114, Pop 9 = 177, Pop 10 = 9 Total Pop Graded = 8,950

1968 Topps Game #2 Pop 8 = 302, Pop 9 = 35, Pop 10 = 4 Total Pop Graded = 1,824

Just an FYI.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of people don't collect "oddball" items.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

The demand side of value is more important than the supply side.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 3 1952 Mantles in 10 compared to 1 Mantle rookie. Care to guess which sells for more? Supply of two superficially similar cards has no real bearing on value.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    A lot of people don't collect "oddball" items.

Basketball inserts, anyone? Just saying it looks a lot more difficult to obtain a Mint Game Card Vs the Regular Card.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If demand hasn't driven prices higher in 51 years, I don't see it happening now.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    The demand side of value is more important than the supply side.

I have been saying this for years. Scarcity means NOTHING without demand.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with you. I totally understand the supply vs demand thing but there are so many of these type of things out there. Sometimes I want to bang my head against the wall when I see stuff like this that is so much more rare sell for a fraction of the price. I keep thinking to myself that one day, it will kick in and people will clamor for this kind of stuff.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Agree market trumps rarity, but I will hold onto the scarce stuff just in case. SCD in it's last published Standard Catalog recognized a variation of the 52 Mantle ( as well as the Thompson and Robinson DPs). If PSA ever recognized a 2nd 52 Mantle in the Registry master list, besides making a lot of folks mad, what would that do the demand for that card ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of "hobby" hype is also involved, imo. Until I sold the 1987 OPC Bonds for $1,250 a couple of years ago, the highest sale was $399. The explanation behind why the OPC Bonds wasn't in "demand", same as this article, "opc is less collected", "people like topps better", "low pop/supply doesn't matter", "it's all about demand". Now it's the best Bonds to have, mostly because of the supply of PSA 10's, it's very low. All it takes is one person to step up, like scarcity, and pay and then that card starts blowing up.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    All it takes is one person to step up, like scarcity, and pay and then that card starts blowing up.

Unless it doesn’t. Look at the SI for Kids Tiger Woods. One person stepped out big time and not enough followed.