Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Need the opinion of an expert. Misprinted dollars

Greetings,
Few days ago I uploaded pictures of this bill, people claimed it to be fake so here you have more pictures. I want the opinion of an expert about the value of the bill. I also have the previous and next bill in serial number.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 5:22PM

The note looks genuine to me in these photos. The previous photos were not of sufficient quality to make a determination, good or bad.

Heritage sold a $50 from this series with insufficient inking five years ago for $329.
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/error-notes/fr-2126-b-50-1996-federal-reserve-note-pcgs-choice-about-new-55ppq/a/3527-20604.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The serial numbered notes before and after this error note are known as "bookends". By themselves, they are not worth a premium but with the error they may add a little value to the group.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 11:43AM

Assuming genuine, nice banknote!

Just be sure to be very careful in handling or storing them.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:05PM

Here is your first picture post. These pictures look exactly like photo copies, the back side pictures lack any level of detail. You can't even see the leaves on the trees~ they look just like green blobs you would see from a photo copy. The Capitol building lacks the required detail of an engraving. The front picture of Grant looks 2-dimensional and lifeless just like a photo-copy. The notes paper is exceedingly white like photo-copy paper. When you blow the picture up the paper lacks security details, also the microprinting becomes blurred just like you would expect from a photo-copy. So please exclude the fact that these cartoonish pictures were not given any serious thought to being real because no one takes pictures like that anymore in this day and age. Everyone has a cell phone with many megapixels of resolution and only scammers take pictures like the ones in this previous post. Also this site has seen more than its fair share of scammers through the years. So when someone new to this forum posts poor quality picture using obsolete technology and is asking questions pertaining to a possible quick sell, what conclusion would someone reasonably arrive at. Then someone asks your opinion about making an offer to buy these notes~ are you kidding, they have all the signs of being photo-copies. Go to the other thread with the same title (Need the opinion of an expert. Misprinted dollars) to get close up pictures of this original post. You can see based on the information given how conclusions were drawn. (close up pictures of the below pic using technology from perhaps 10 to 20 years ago) Take responsibility for posting poor quality pictures and don't blame others for calling them fake based on the information that was given.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

I need the opinion of an expert, a doctor would be preferable. Is this a real girl? If so how old is she? (I don't really need this question answered, but as humans we should all be expert enough to identify one. And from this picture I really don't know if she is real or not)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

First have to define “real.”

There’s been many a thesis using that term.

Oh well back to collecting something. :)

• Options

I already said I did a mistake by posting the photocopy because I didn't want to take the bills out of the plastic. I'm not a scammer, just not an expert on how things are supposed to be done in this subject.

The picture from these post is the best my camera can do. Do you keep calling it fake? Do you know if I can grade it n Europe so I can sell it?

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 4:13AM

You didn't already say you made a mistake by posting the photocopies until just now on September 16th at 10:54pm in both threads. You earlier posts make no mention that you were posting photocopies because youdidn't want to take the bills out of the plastic until just now. Here are all the comments you made from your first post.
    ~ Hello everyone, I have three 1996 50$ bills with consecutive serial numbers. The middle one has an "insufficient inking" error, it is almost blank in the reverse. Both three are in uncirculated state. Here is the scan from each side; (picture) I can provide more pictures if it's something interesting.
    I want opinions on whether to sell them or keep them. How much are they worth?
    Thanks in advance.
    Here are the comments from your 2nd post ~ Greetings, Few days ago I uploaded pictures of this bill, people claimed it to be fake so here you have more pictures. I want the opinion of an expert about the value of the bill. I also have the previous and next bill in serial number.
    Thanks!

If you are going to ask for the values of notes and want to post a photocopy of the actual notes, you need to tell (alert) the evaluators that you are doing so in your initial (first) post. Say something like I have here three notes, these are "photocopies of the originals" because I don't want to remove the original notes from their protective sleeves. I would like an expert to provide me with a value for the three notes. Don't get upset when people are calling the notes fake because they are looking at a photocopy. Let them know first that the originals are elsewhere and these are just a representation of the actual notes. You are much more likely to receive help that way.

• Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

The note is from the same sheet as the note sold in the HA listing in post 2 that was certified by PCGS.