Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Topps Baseball Submission Candidates, Any 10s here?

MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
edited September 15, 2019 8:25AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Acquired a nice virgin set and am looking to hit a couple 10s as 9's don't seem to be worth much more than grading fees. The Rose obviously just want a 7 due to centering. All backs are free of any issues. What do you think? Always get some good advice, will be adding some more candidates next week.

Is top Rough cut a disqualifer on Boyer?

Is Top white line on top border an issue?

Good enough centering for a 7?

Note: Sorry for the occasional cat hair!

Comments

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    Acquired a nice virgin set and am looking to hit a couple 10s as 9's don't seem to be worth much more than grading fees. The Rose obviously just want a 7 due to centering. All backs are free of any issues. What do you think? Always get some good advice, will be adding some more candidates next week.

If all other aspects of the card meet the criteria, I think the centering is within tolerances of an 8.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

BEAUTIFUL group!
    Generally, I don't like to offer guesses as scans can be deceiving. But these scans look better than most.
    Assuming there are no surface issues including small creases and no chipping at extreme edges of corners also that cards are not too big or too small.
    Here are my thoughts;
    Aspromonte looks good. Slight tilt but not so much to disqualify for a 10
    Braves Team, lower left corner touched? 9?
    Williams, both left side corners touched? 8-9?
    Boyer, upper right corner doesn't look square, rough cut actually could help you here, still think 9, but 10 is possible.
    Hughes, Lower left corner 8.5-9
    Bunning, upper right corner, 9-10
    Houk, 10
    Buchek, looks like a 10 unless the little bit of snow and slight off centering get in the way.
    Hands, white line is fine, upper right corner? Centered a bit low? 8.5-9
    Bahnson, both top corners imperfect? 8-9
    Rose, both left side corners look touched, centering a little high and to the right, 8-8.5
    Very nice cards, in hand they could be better or worse, I can't judge the corners as well as I would like. I don't see much snow or other print dots and centering is wonderful.

Good luck with the grades!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do HOFers really only go for "grading fees" in 9?

• Options

@daltex said:

He didn't say that, did he?

Regular service grading looks to be $20.00 plus shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1968+topps+baseball+cards+psa+9&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sadis=200&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_stpos=55371&_sop=15

LOTS of 9's not bringing grading fees!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 6:25AM

I think Aspomante is your best chance at a 10 but bet it gets a 9. I would send in the Bunning and Williams - while I think those are both 8s - they have a chance at a 9 and you should do OK at an 8 since they are HOFers.

• Options

You will lose money on a Bunning psa 8. You might make some on the Williams in an 8.

What's the Ryan look like? THAT's what the inquiring mind is asking!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@daltex said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1968+topps+baseball+cards+psa+9&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sadis=200&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_stpos=55371&_sop=15

Absolutely correct; however, a significant portion of the cards that come up in that search result link you posted are OC's so you should have -OC among your search terms in order not to dilute the total quantity of NQ 9's. Nonetheless, there are plenty of NQ 9's to be had for grading fees.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@daltex said:

Absolutely correct; however, a significant portion of the cards that come up in that search result link you posted are OC's so you should have -OC among your search terms in order not to dilute the total quantity of NQ 9's. Nonetheless, there are plenty of NQ 9's to be had for grading fees.

That didn't work for me...........scroll down a whole 7 cards and you start seeing psa 9's with no qualifiers, you have to go pretty far (350 cards or so) to get to a card valued over $20.00, and $20.00 doesn't account for your shipping fees and your time. I would say $30.00 would be the cut off (almost 500 cards sold in psa 9 for under $30.00) at what is a minimum you would want in return to make it worth your while.

I would say that the OP's statement is quite fair in saying you need a 10 to make money here. OBVIOUSLY he wasn't referring to HOFers.

You could get a bulk submission together and save some $ on grading.

Would love to see the Ryan and the Mantle!

• Options
    1. The Ryan I don't own but saw it is just a 5. The Bench and Mantles I think the dealer got like a 6 or 7 on them. He supposedly got a "9" on the Clemente but I never saw the card.
  • Options

I have a few more cards to post very excited about the Clemente managers dream card I think it could "10" although I know that card is very common in a 10

• Options

Managers Dream is a GREAT card. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for posting. I like the 68's. :-)

• Options

Love the ‘68s as well. Working on a HOF set. Excited to see your Mangers Dream Card. One of my favorites.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!. I doubt I would get a 10 on them, but hopefully you will.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

Thanks for all the comments so far. Here are some of the stars I might sub expecting 6 to 8s due to centering issues. The Aaron AS and Manager's Dream I think have a shot higher. Tomorrow I am going to post another 10 or so commons that I think are 9 or better potential.

Centering not perfect, a 9 would be great.

9 potential (Aaron AS)?

A couple edge dings and o/c. 5 or 6 likely.

Maybe an 8 but worth grading fees?

Nice but all 3 have centering issues so probably not worth fees?

• Options

I think with the centering the Managers Dream gets an 8. I think the Super Stars gets a 6. Think McCovey could get a 7. Palmer 6, Perry 8, Aaron 8. Those are just my guesses.

Not the best picture because I bought before my scanner but here is my Managers Dream 9 to compare to.

• Options

Beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing.

Agree. Like seeing ‘68s and you bought a very nice set.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@daltex said:

That didn't work for me...........scroll down a whole 7 cards and you start seeing psa 9's with no qualifiers, you have to go pretty far (350 cards or so) to get to a card valued over $20.00, and $20.00 doesn't account for your shipping fees and your time. I would say $30.00 would be the cut off (almost 500 cards sold in psa 9 for under $30.00) at what is a minimum you would want in return to make it worth your while.

I would say that the OP's statement is quite fair in saying you need a 10 to make money here. OBVIOUSLY he wasn't referring to HOFers.

You could get a bulk submission together and save some $ on grading.

Would love to see the Ryan and the Mantle!

Minty (as opposed to Gem Minty) commons could probably go in a bulk submission. Not arguing that it is financially a good deal to send in cards that are likely worth $20, just that it wouldn't cost $20 grading fees to do so.

• Options

@daltex said:

Minty (as opposed to Gem Minty) commons could probably go in a bulk submission. Not arguing that it is financially a good deal to send in cards that are likely worth $20, just that it wouldn't cost $20 grading fees to do so.

Yes, I did mention that. ;-)

I think the point is that this is not a great year for "minty" cards. A lot of those 9's would be money losers even if you got the grading down to $10.00 plus shipping.

• Options

Here's the last 4 I'm considering. Going to check with a card shop with a guy that's pretty good with grading and maybe he along with the board's comments can help me narrow down what to send. I think he does bulk subs so maybe I can add a few in at $8 or so per card to make it worth the risk with some of these....

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

this set is incredible. Congrats to you.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

All 4 of those new ones look really sharp.

• Options

Beautiful cards!