Home Q & A Forum
Options

What's the error?1980 one cent,defective die, misplaced D mark,stroke in a 1967, other?

InfamustrueerrorsInfamustrueerrors Posts: 99
edited September 15, 2019 9:56AM in Q & A Forum

I'm going through different error collections,to list them for sale 1 cent,5,10,25,50 cents and 1979 dollar coins,I'm not new to coins but still not comfortable with online selling.i will be asking for help and feedback on some easy visible errors to build better descriptions.do you know what is this error,or what's it called? I had it on eBay but someone reported as a fake coin because I wouldn't let it go for 50 cents. 🤔

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 5:49AM

You really need to post a picture. Members here can advise you if it's an actual mint error or some sort of PMD.

Your descriptions are confusing. Defective die can describe a number of specific error types and if you're not experienced in errors, it could very well be damage. I would recommend doing some research at www.error-ref.com That may help you narrow down which type of error you may have.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I did post a picture,I don't know why it says waiting on approval. An yes without the picture the question looks dumb.sorry anyone reading this if the picture is not uploaded yet,and I hope my question gets fully uploaded with the picture soon..

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

To post a pic sometimes the following works:

-edit a previous message
    -load the pic but precede it with an emoji icon :)

• Options

🤔

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    To post a pic sometimes the following works:

-edit a previous message
    -load the pic but precede it with an emoji icon :)

Thanks it worked

• Options

👍

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1980 Cent is damaged. Copper is a soft metal and something hit the 0. Sorry, but It's not an error

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Damage occurring after cent left the Mint.

• Options

Ok,I was thinking if something hit the zero to the point of moving it out of place,there should be a mark of the part that moved, where the half of the zero was in the first place,there is no trace of something pushing the side to the middle of the zero.

• Options

Ok,I was thinking if something hit the zero to the point of moving it out of place,there should be a mark of the part that moved, where the half of the zero was in the first place,there is no trace of something pushing the side to the middle of the zero.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Infamustrueerrors said:

It could have been hit a long time ago and given the copper to turn brown again

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    The 1980 Cent is damaged. Copper is a soft metal and something hit the 0. Sorry, but It's not an error

Let's say something hit it,that takes care of the (0) what about the 8? Looks like it has a bar on top/middle of the 8 connecting the two circles making the 8? Also is it doubled die? Liberty looks a bit wider than normal?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing wrong with the 8
    I don’t see any doubling

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

From CoinFacts.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

The 0 was damaged when the coin was being rolled by the baNk.