Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ever wonder what the cards in those cheap eBay vintage packs look like?

and just who are the people buying them?

I just saw this on youtube and thought I would share. Special emphasis on that 1974 checklist lol

1974 Topps Football Pack

Comments

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, those are some pack fresh and minty cards, right there. :*

Andy

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was painful!!!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stats and stuff.. this video made me feel like I could actually make an exciting ripping video. And that is saying something. :smiley:

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

"There's that gum"

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 9:29PM

This video makes me remember how foolish I was when I first got back into the hobby 5 + years ago. I had not touched sports cards in 20+ years when I was a kid. I saw people ripping vintage packs on youtube randomly and that sparked the flame. I should point out that my desire was not to get rich from some PSA 10 pulled from a pack. It was sincerely to open a pack of cards and see the cards in their pristine state. Nothing more. Nothing less. I am a huge art nerd and vintage sports cards have that same artistic appeal to me. Oddly enough, still to this day I have never had the balls to open up a vintage pack.

With that said, i jumped in doing a bit of research and studying the hobby. Looking at prices on eBay both sold and listed.Looking at sellers and the potential of fraud. Thinking I had acquired enough understanding of the hobby to start buying some vintage packs of my own. So i did. Sometimes I got lucky and got legit packs. I picked up 12 rack packs of 1976 topps baseball for $175. crazy! Other times I saw the price and decided to forego that uneasy feeling in my stomach telling me to avoid this pack and bought some 1970's pack.

I still have all the packs I purchased way back when I started. I see this video and have no doubt I am sitting on some 1974 Topps football packs that if opened will no doubt present the same results. One of these days I will have some pro like Grote pick out all the ones that look untampered with and then open all the rest on youtube videos so that people can learn from my early mistakes! At least at that point I will be able to open a vintage pack without any reservations. That will "almost" be like finally accomplishing my first hobby goal! One of these days I will get a pack from BBCE and open it and then my true hobby goal will be complete.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

That hillbilly could not even read the names right

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

I started laughing immediately. That was sad.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Roy Gerela was pronounced Roy Guererro. :D

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Wonder if any ot those "beauty's" were flipped?????

chaz

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was amazing!! Pretty sure those were the first sports cards he's ever seen in his life. That would be like me hosting a video of fine art. Not sure if there was a back story to where he got the cards, but I'd love to hear it. And the way he was just tossing the cards around, pretty sure something would have got dinged even if it was good.
    That being said, I agree that the vast majority of vintage unopened/un-authenticated stuff on Ebay is trash. I picked up some 75 Topps baseball wax earlier in the year and wish I would have got more. The guy couldn't really tell between the regular and the mini....he had both. I bought 1 regular pack (was only like $130) and what he sent was a 2 card mini. I got back with him and he sent the regular size pack after he figured out the differences. It looked good to me but I'm far from an expert. Sent it in and had it slabbed. Came back a 7 but a nice turnaround for 75 baseball wax. Like I said, he had more but I didn't want to chance it.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I have to believe that was a clever and humorous "spoof" video on opening vintage wax. Loved the commentator and how he pronounced some of the names :)

Checklist was funny, and the Mike Washington duplicates right before "Raymond Chester" and couple after was funny... :)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

ironically there was a card in each pack that looked like it's been bounced on that Lego flooring numerous times. That must just be an odd coincidence with these unopened years.