edited September 11, 2019 12:41PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, that’s a real ball

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2019 2:24PM

@DBesse27 said:
    Yea, that’s a real ball

I’m gonna say it cause, unless I’ve missed it, it seems after a long time and over 2 ID’s, no one else will.

I’m just part timer, so I’m sure it doesn’t matter, but it’s very hard for me to respect your legit and genuine posts because of this sarcastic and rude sentiment you’ve constantly exhibited over the years.

ETA: Sorry for the hijack, Counselor

• Options
    edited September 11, 2019 5:11PM

@Porkins said:

@DBesse27 said:
    Yea, that’s a real ball

I’m gonna say it cause, unless I’ve missed it, it seems after a long time and over 2 ID’s, no one else will.

I’m just part timer, so I’m sure it doesn’t matter, but it’s very hard for me to respect your legit and genuine posts because of this sarcastic and rude sentiment you’ve constantly exhibited over the years.

I’m sorry you feel that way. While sarcastic, my post above was meant to be good natured fun. Definitely not meant to be rude. I can see how it could be interpreted that way though and I apologize to the OP, with whom I’ve had plenty of positive interactions over the years. Perhaps next time a :) would help get my point across more clearly

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@Porkins said:

@DBesse27 said:
    Yea, that’s a real ball

I’m sorry you feel that way. While sarcastic, it was meant to be good natured fun. Definitely not meant to be rude. I can see how it could be interpreted that way though and I apologize to the OP, with whom I’ve had plenty of positive interactions over the years. Perhaps next time a :) would help get my point across more clearly

Although I remain a bit skeptical about the numerous times over the years being “good natured” given the context, I do appreciate the response. I will give the benefit of the doubt, and shut my yap.

Again, sincere apologies, Counselor for the interruption. Good luck with the ball.

• Options

To answer the intent of the original question, I don’t feel good about the authenticity of the Williams auto, but I’m no expert.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Wanted to show a picture of a Ted Williams signature that is authentic. It's GAI, but I know the person who got it signed. I'm not great at telling authenticity, but the T bottom loop looks like it goes the opposite way on both of them.
    Hope this helps!

• Options

Now having seen the “lliams” of an authentic auto, I reverse my position. They look the same to my untrained eyes.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

I just got your joke. Unfortunately I didn’t understand your comment at first and told my friend he should buy the ball because someone said it looked good. Now I see the auto might not be good, will let him know not to buy the ball or the autograph on the ball

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off, the bottom loop of the "T" in a real Ted Williams autograph, goes in a counter-clock-wise direction, meaning it goes left, and curves down. The one posted above, supposedly authenticated by GAI, appears to go in a clock-wise direction, the opposite of the way it should. The "d" also appears off to me.

Regarding the OP's baseball, while the "T" does curve in the correct direction, I do not like the end stroke on the "s", and the "W" doesn't really look right to me. I'm just not personally comfortable with it.

Steve

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Counselor said:
    I just got your joke. Unfortunately I didn’t understand your comment at first and told my friend he should buy the ball because someone said it looked good. Now I see the auto might not be good, will let him know not to buy the ball or the autograph on the ball

Don't (ever again) rely on message boards to grade or authenticate items. Scans are often deceiving and there are a lot of people here who are NOT experts.

There are some very knowledgeable folks here as well. Some have pointed out flaws that would lead one to believe things are fake, these boards are better in that regard, but if you need something authenticated, get a professional's opinion.

They have been known to be wrong as well.

Regarding any Ted Williams autograph; there are a LOT of forgeries out there. Unless you had it signed in person, you will never know for sure.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Forgive me i just don't understand how anyone can say an autograph is bad because of one letter. Sign your name 100 times and none will be the same. I know there are experts out there that are good at what they do but.....

• Options

@ElvisP said:
    Forgive me i just don't understand how anyone can say an autograph is bad because of one letter. Sign your name 100 times and none will be the same. I know there are experts out there that are good at what they do but.....

Generally I agree, but guys like Williams are not your average person. Killebrew was pretty good at having a consistent signature too. The down side to that is, a "good" forger can probably get pretty close on any of the legible, consistent autos.

I am not an expert on autographs, so I stick with my feeling that if you didn't see it done it could be fake.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a few dozen Ted Williams autographed baseballs from UDA (Upper Deck Authenticated). One thing I noticed is his autograph varies in some way on almost all of them.

I just searched eBay for "Ted Williams Baseball 521", and 3 listings came up. One looks almost exactly like the OP's (but it is NOT certified). The other two are certified -- one is by PSA, and the other by JSA

I don't know if the OP's baseball is real, but the top 2 pictures look like they were signed by the same person. Perhaps the OP can ask for a PSA Quick Opinion on the eBay listing that looks like his...

• Options

Ted also signed a lot as an older man and had some serious health issues, so his autograph did change over the years.

• Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

The "2" in the inscription is very different on the two uncertified balls when compared to the PSA example.

• Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

One more example (this time w/o 521).

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much flair between the d and W and the s isn’t right. I don’t like either uncertified examples.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

If the ball is submitted to PSA for grading and is not deemed authentic is the entire fee still due?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    If the ball is submitted to PSA for grading and is not deemed authentic is the entire fee still due?

Yes.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Ted also signed a lot as an older man and had some serious health issues, so his autograph did change over the years.

Yes he did. His Son took him on a ruthless autograph signing tour.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Yes he did. His Son took him on a ruthless autograph signing tour.

I read a biography on Ted. His kid actually had him do physical therapy after a stroke just so he could keep signing.

POS