Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PL coins in registry sets

Now that they are designating PL on all business strike coins, do you think PCGS will give bonus registry point(s) for the designation? Similar to what they do with CAM and DCAM on proof coins?

How much do you feel it should be worth (if any)?

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

No registry points = very little premium

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show me a PL coin that is a business strike cause I do see them anywhere in the pop report.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 12:35PM

@Stooge said:
    Show me a PL coin that is a business strike cause I do see them anywhere in the pop report.

There is a 1796 Quarter in 64 PL ! It has a separate listing # as 85310. Also look at the $1 Gold Type 3.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@Stooge said:

There is a 1796 Quarter in 64 PL ! It has a separate listing # as 85310. Also look at the $1 Gold Type 3.

I was basically referring to the modern BS coins. I’ve seen that quarter, it’s stunning.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern ATB 5-ouncers have MS69PL's and DMPL's and the new 2019 gold $100 in enhanced finish has SP69PL and DMPL's if that is what you are asking about as examples. No extra points for these finishes so far that I know of.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 5:44AM

So far, I see a total of 5 (edit: 6) PL coins across all Washington quarters (1932-current).

I've been watching the PL coins, and I've submitted a large number of moderns since their big announcement with zero PL's.

My most recent try was a stack of San Antonio Missions S quarters. I picked them out, split the stack in two and sent to PCGS/NGC. NGC had a 70% PL rate. PCGS gave zero.

I've also sent 2019-D Kennedy's with deeper mirrors than the PL rocketship coins, and none of those have received the PL designation.

I would love to know what screening is being done (every coin without asking?) and where the bar is set for the designation.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:
    So far, I see a total of 5 (edit: 6) PL coins across all Washington quarters (1932-current).

I've been watching the PL coins, and I've submitted a large number of moderns since their big announcement with zero PL's.

My most recent try was a stack of San Antonio Missions S quarters. I picked them out, split the stack in two and sent to PCGS/NGC. NGC had a 70% PL rate. PCGS gave zero.

I've also sent 2019-D Kennedy's with deeper mirrors than the PL rocketship coins, and none of those have received the PL designation.

I would love to know what screening is being done (every coin without asking?) and where the bar is set for the designation.

maybe you need to pay again for 'reconsideration'

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

I've got a PL 2019 D cent on the way. I was also wondering if the PL designation draws a point or two. Looks like no? :'(:D

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

Problem is PCGS has never given bonus points for PL or DMPL for Morgans. If this changes, the registry rankings will be reshuffled. Folks that have their rank lowered will be very unhappy.

norcalgold in California
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

@norcalgold said:
    Problem is PCGS has never given bonus points for PL or DMPL for Morgans. If this changes, the registry rankings will be reshuffled. Folks that have their rank lowered will be very unhappy.

Good point. Probably best left alone.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBN said:
    I've got a PL 2019 D cent on the way. I was also wondering if the PL designation draws a point or two. Looks like no? :'(:D

Might not at the current time but in future I suspect a PL to be more appealing especially for those trying to rank up in a set.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

No and nothing.