Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Redemption Question

So honestly, I'm new to the redemption game. Basically every redemption I've ever pulled I either sold or gave away. First one I tried was a Panini Andre Benentendi Auto gold, something or other. Been like 3 months and I'm still waiting on that one. Anyhow that brings me to the original reason for the post. I ripped a box of 2018 Bowman Platinum the week it came out and got a Wander Franco prospects auto something redemption. Score!! After it sat here for a while and dropped in price from about $200 to $150 for the redemption on Ebay, I decided to just go online and redeem it. Not knowing when/if I would ever see it. Low and behold, I get an E-mail from Topps Saturday that it was on it's way. It showed up Monday and has just been sitting here. I wanted to take a good look at it with loupe then figured I would send it off to PSA. When I went to look at the back, the top and bottom right hand corners have a very small amount of the top layer "flipped" up. Is this common, would they send a replacement or am I just SOL? It is still in the holder with the Topps sticker thing that closes the top loader. Anyone who has any experience or opinions feel free to chime in! Thanks!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a Topps address for damaged cards. I dont have it anymore, but someone here will. They are good at replacing, but if it's a low #ed card or #ed rare auto (or the like) you may get a card they feel is of equal value.

Add a note with the card you send in telling them what you see that's wrong. Also let them know how much you paid for the card, or what you feel fair market value is since you pulled it yourself (be creative but not abusive) in case they need to send a different card.

Stress a connection to getting the same player back (or a comparable young rookie; add a brief list of names) if that exact card cant be sent again so they don't send you a 1/1 Biff Pocoroba auto that may have great value in their eyes, but that you cant sell for $15 on eBay.

Good luck.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    There's a Topps address for damaged cards. I dont have it anymore, but someone here will. They are good at replacing, but if it's a low #ed card or #ed rare auto (or the like) you may get a card they feel is of equal value.

Add a note with the card you send in telling them what you see that's wrong. Also let them know how much you paid for the card, or what you feel fair market value is since you pulled it yourself (be creative but not abusive) in case they need to send a different card.

Stress a connection to getting the same player back (or a comparable young rookie; add a brief list of names) if that exact card cant be sent again so they don't send you a 1/1 Biff Pocoroba auto that may have great value in their eyes, but that you cant sell for $15 on eBay.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! There are a lot of crazies out there. I might be able to get big money for a 1/1 Biff Pocoroba!!

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman .... Pocoroba sighting!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Topps is usually good about taking care of you. Redemption cards also mail out fairly fast. For Panini, I have been waiting since August 18th 2017 for a card.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 6:19AM

I've found they're pretty good on the phone also Tim.

I got them to authorize a return on damaged cards directly sold by them - and a redemption is more like a direct sale than a pack pull IMO but I could be totally wrong on that one?

Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

So an update to this story as I finally called them. The lady I talked to was extremely pleasant. I was also asking about that 93 Topps gold box and she is going to look into that. Anyhow, she pulled up this redemption for me and told me that ALL of the Bowman Sterling Prospect Wander Franco's were damaged to some degree. Some people were sending them back in and the option was that they would send them for grading and if they come back less than an 8 they would provide a different card but if it came back an 8 or higher you would just get to keep that same card. I don't know how many people are returning them and how this is going to affect how many end up being out there. Might be an interesting scenario in years to come if this kid really pans out.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Sitting and waiting patiently for several homer run challenge cards from April, May, June, July, August.

Scared at this point because they messed up April runs. Then seeing cards for the above months of my players on ebay yet mine still read “processing” on my account page.