Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1996 toonie Canada core rotation 30 degrees

Hello, This is the second toonie error that I found this month. First was the diving bear and this one is 30 degree core rotation. I have not found this on any list. Did you ??
Thanks for your response.;

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

The toonies are struck with the core already in the full planchet, so you can't have a "rotation" of the core only. The core is easily removed or moved with a little heat or cold.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the coin suffered some heat damage, so based on @syl post, this may be what contributed to the rotation

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    The toonies are struck with the core already in the full planchet, so you can't have a "rotation" of the core only. The core is easily removed or moved with a little heat or cold.

Which is something I have done myself, put some in the cold box and took the centres out later and put them back in with the bear on the obverse and HRH on the reverse. Then I spent them.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before some of us believe the die rotation, you might wish to prove it first.
    There are few sure ways to do this effectively.
    but consider to set up ur coins like the images below before you take a picture and then you can then be sure.

or this one

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Make sense god damn it, I mist on this one. All metals expand when heated, but not at the same rate. The amount of expansion a material experiences when heated is known as its coefficient of linear expansion. Copper has a higher rate of expansion when heated than nickel, which also means that copper shrinks more rapidly when cooled. Therefore anyone can easily turn or just removed the inner core.

• Options

Appreciate your method, correct me if am wrong. The photos that I post show clearly the core rotation. Notice that the Queen crown is not at 12h00 o'clock. Meaning it is not aligned with the maple leaf Canada logo, and the bear does not line up parallel to the 2 DOLLAR. My last post was a toonie diving bear 90 degree, I use a mirror

• Options

Well, I guess we all have our own methods.

• Options

YQQ,
    Like mention in the discussion. I appreciate your method and will definitely start to use it. Tell me what you think.
    Best Regard

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

The core isn't rotated either.

Line up the Bear with the vertical plane (ie, standing on flat ground) and then flip it sideways. The queen will be in the right orientation.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

Pokerman is right.. you must line up at least one side, tape the 2x2s together and then turn..and voila.. you see the rotation.

• Options

Thanks to both of you, I haven't had time to get the show on the road. When I do I will post. A+