Home Q & A Forum
Options

Question regarding a 1972 Lincoln cent

sep
So I was going through coins and weighing and checking dates for logging and was confused to find this 1972 Lincoln cent weighing 2.5 g. Aren’t all 70s made of copper and weighing 3.11. So, my question is, how do you think this could have been made. Opinions please. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

No definite No definate answer of the fact i found one as a 1974 same weight with lots of damage .
    The trail sent me to the aluminum quarey and still searching.
    Next im gonna try a byoptsy . Hope you find out more and fill us in on your theorys.
    thanks

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a dug up cent, i.e, spent sometime buried, corroded, found, cleaned up, and spent.

• Options
    LyndagLyndag Posts: 99 ✭✭

@Hemispherical I’ve looked a little closer as my phone is terrible and I’m traveling without my kit. But I believe it was punched on anther coin. I’ll be back in touch with update. Thanks. I was hoping you or one of my great experienced friends would comment. Haven’t been on in a few months.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but @Hemispherical is correct. Your coin suffered environmental damage after it left the mint. The mushy details and discoloration are the giveaways. Maybe it was buried, maybe it was exposed to chemicals, or maybe something else. Regardless, it isn't a mint error

Member of the ANA since 1982