Home Q & A Forum
Options

ELONGATED MACHINE POST ERROR PENNY

charlesrogers88charlesrogers88 Posts: 16
edited September 9, 2019 3:26PM in Q & A Forum

THIS SHOULD MAKE FOR AN INTERESTED CONVERSATION. COMPLETE MEMORIAL AND ALL ALL LETTERS ON REVERSE SIDE. FRONT HAS IN GOD WE STILL ON IT. CANNOT TELL THE DATE. I HAVE HEARD THAT THESE MAY HAVE SOME VALUE.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 8:16PM

Post mint damage. At one time they were normal coins until someone ran them through...

Edit to add value.

Whatever someone is willing to spend.

There is minimal to no numismatic value.

Curiosity/novelty value is unknown since it’s up to whatever a buyer wants to spend.

Heck, people spend money to buy them fake doggie poo things. :D

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not uncommon to be able to see some design features.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get the issue/question.

That's a normal elongated cent....

• Options

most have clean reverse side without any markings left to see.. on the obverse, you can still see IN GOD WE very clearly.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I occasionally get these as a souvenir of an interesting tourist or historical attraction and every one shows blank side detail like yours. The thing that bothers me is trying to guess how to put the cent in the slot so the date shows on the blank side. I also try to use pre 1982 coins so there is no exposed zinc that can corrode later, so the date really is meaningless. There is also a numismatic organization dedicated to collecting elongated coins if you’re interested

Funny story: A few years ago, my son was playing in an AAU basketball tourney in Springfield, MA and I took some of the players to the Basketball HOF. I embarrassed my son by asking the concession cashier for a couple copper cents to use in the machine. He was even more embarrassed when I was explaining to one of the kids the difference between Copper and zinc cents (“Come on Dad, we need to go. Nobody cares about that stuff”). But now, I have a nice elongated on a 1964 cent.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlesrogers88 said:
    most have clean reverse side without any markings left to see.. on the obverse, you can still see IN GOD WE very clearly.

This simply isn't true. The opposite is true. Most elongated coins do show remnants of the details on one or both sides. It is all a function of what the pressure of the machine is and how clean or dirty the coin was to begin with.