Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need some profesional assistance on old US coins. CONFIRMED FAKE

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2019 4:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum

These 2 coins are being offered to me. Can anyone pitch in on if they are if they are genuine, grades, and value? Thanks a lot.

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@coinlieutenant said:
    Fake

I would like to learn on how you can tell. Could you let me know what you see?

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@coinlieutenant said:
    Fake

I would like to learn on how you can tell. Could you let me know what you see?

The date placement is not one I have ever seen on the 1865...99% sure.
    The 1879 looks off as far as mushiness and graininess (may be from picture). They have all sorts of weird date placements, so it is possible that it is ok, but still looks wrong on quality of production and the date. 70% sure on this one.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the half is genuine. The lettering on the reverse of the half looks funny. The eagle looks off and the way the details are mushed is a bad sign. Do you have a genuine 1865 half to compare it against? Even some pictures should start to show the differences. In general, that sort of pewter colored silver is very common on fakes. Some genuine coins can have it also, but take a look at some other fakes in various threads on this board, particularly the 1889 CC morgans.

Can't tell on the nickel. The details are washed out by the light. The blob stars are not a good sign but I'm not familiar enough with the series to say either way without seeing the coin in hand.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half dollar, certified, might be worth 2-3 hundred. The shield nickel is hard to say from the photos, particularly the reverse.

Buy them with a guarantee they're real and will straight-grade at your TPG.
    Lance.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few in depth articles on counterfeits by Jack Young. He is also a forum member.

https://coinweek.com/author/jack-d-young/

Use the forum’s search function to find some good reading material on counterfeits.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

The font of the date on that half looks really funny. I’d steer clear.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of those appear to be fake.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others, the date on the half jumped out at me as wrong. I wouldn't touch it as genuine at all.

As to purchasing the shield nickel.....how are these being offered to you? Stranger? Shop?
    What is your recourse if you buy them and they are fake? Unless it is from a legit dealer and it is in writing as to what your recourse is, I wouldn't even think about it.

If you are being offered 1, most likely fake, coin, among another coin, then what do you think the odds of the 2nd coin being fake might be? How big is YOUR risk factor?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half dollar is definitely fake.
    If same person is offering the 1879 5c, it's likely fake too.
    Better date shield, hard to tell from pics, but I would stay away.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shield on the obverse of the half looks to have pieces of metal missing. Reverse shield has a strange line on it, maybe the photo. The date, especially the 8 looks to have been modified or repaired. Too many red flags. The nickel photo is too blurry.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I look at that half the more I think someone worked hard to make this look "aged". :s

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. If you are unable to spot counterfeits buy only coins that are already slabbed by a top TPG.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thank you all for your input. To it sound like both are fakes. I got a bit suspicious when the person that wanted to sell them to me was willing to make a 400 mile drive just to get to me. A red flag did come up when I saw the nickel because there is no consistent wear. As for the half, I did think the date looked weird. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions. The person offered $900 for the pair.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you come into contact with the seller? My guess is that it was by means which should have raised a red flag, on its own.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    How did you come into contact with the seller? My guess is that it was by means which should have raised a red flag, on its own.

It was by a online ad

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@MFeld said:

It was by a online ad

Good for you for being on alert and checking things out.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd bet that the seller knows they're fake. He probably bought them cheap from China.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't give the seller your address, did you?

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The cardboard flips and staples seem authentic.

I think that the only real items in this lot :p

@topstuf said:
    You didn't give the seller your address, did you?

No the only thing the seller knows is my email address

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caution is always advised regardless of age when $ is involved but as a young seller (your sig line states your age) you’ll need to be extra cautious.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't advertise your age. It will attract scammers who think you will be easy pickings.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Don't advertise your age. It will attract scammers who think you will be easy pickings.

Good idea thanks

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The cardboard flips and staples seem authentic.

After handling thousands of coins a week for decades it was inevitable you'd be able to spot that.
    😂👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file