Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French art medals III republic - displayed.

I have all these wonderful French Art medals and finally put together a little display so that I could get them out of the safe and enjoy them. This is not something you could ever do with holdered US coins.

Art Deco Style on the left. Beaux arts and Nouveau-arts style on the right. My lighting is bad. When the sun comes out I will get some pics with a whiter light. Till then:

Comments

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Museum Quality ! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful! nice selection and display!

Which are your favorites and why?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 9:51AM

@Bob13 said:
    Wonderful! nice selection and display!

Which are your favorites and why?

This is only about half. My more expensive medals I don't dare put out.

Favorites not shown:

1886 Franco-American Union (ROTY) in Silver.
    1878 Paris Expo Silver medal (Chaplain) in silver.
    Various smaller gold medals - ROTY, BARRE, BOUVET.

I am leaning more towards the Nouveau and Art Deco styles more.

The large Art Deco silver medals are my favorite by far. The art Deco style is so refreshing. Also new to me is Vermeil (gold plated silver) this is not something you find in US coinage, so I have focused on seeking out Vermeil medals.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Display has always been a struggle with my medals. Now the collection far exceeds anything reasonable. It would be great to have a rotating display--not literally but figuratively with different pieces pulled out.

In any case, I love that clean look you have pulled off. Beautiful medals (and I totally agree with you on the Art Deco particularly, and this display really suits them!).

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice display, thanks for sharing.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great way to enjoy the pieces. Such exquisite artwork. I can see why your drawn to them and bet it’s a lot of fun to add comparable pieces to the set. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to ask, did you build the semi-circular acrylic display? I like the elevation to enhance both visibility and real estate for setting the stands on.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    I forgot to ask, did you build the semi-circular acrylic display? I like the elevation to enhance both visibility and real estate for setting the stands on.

I bought the set from Amazon. The circular stands are marketed as "Cupcake display stands". They also work great for collectibles.
    https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQY6FKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great medal and the display!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanna buy a COIN collection? ;)