Home Q & A Forum
Options

Crossover question

GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 7, 2019 9:22AM in Q & A Forum

Let's say I have a coin in an NGC holder graded MS68. The minimum grade I want is a PCGS MS67 or I want it left in the holder as the MS68 is a top pop for NGC. If it came back a PCGS MS66 it would be a big loss.

That all seems to be as described when submitting. If you say no minimum grade it is removed from the original holder and then graded.

So if the grader looks at the NGC slab and says yes it is good enough for a 67, is that the grade I will get?

Or will they say it is a MS68 like NGC thought if it looks good,or default to MS67 because it is easy? If the graders say it will cross at a "minimum" MS67 is it taken out and sent in for regrade so there is a chance it crosses at a MS67+ or MS68?

Seems like to grade a 67-68 correctly it would need to be out of the NGC holder to see better from angles as these are top grades for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the slab is heavily scratched at the 68 and above level it would be luster and minimal contact marks which should be evident even in a slab. IMO

Need a grader or someone with intimate knowledge on this. Maybe @Insider2 has insight.

I would still call CS and you may need to ask to elevate your call.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told by our hosts the graders will look at the coin in the slab, and each determine the grade they give it. Those are reviewed and the "final" grade is compared to the minimum grade requested and if it is that grade or up to the existing grade they will remove it and holder it PCGS. If they say less than the minimum grade, the coin in the original holder is returned.

Also, it won't get a higher crossover grade submitting this way as you can't state a higher grade. If you think the coin in the other holder is really a higher grade you need to ask it to be graded raw as it can then come back anything. I hope this is all correct based on the call I had.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to know @Goldminers. Thanks for posting that info.