What’s this called and is it worth keeping

1980 p nickel with a weird rim

Answers

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would need pics of both sides....

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sguidry21 said:
    1980 p nickel with a weird rim

Wha’s the reverse and edge look like? Diameter?

Possible broadstrike?

• Sorry I don’t know the diameter.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a misaligned obverse die, it is fairly minor. Not really worth anything but it is a cool find.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Thanks for your help

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with @morgandollar1878 with MAD. I must have experienced a cracked die on my earlier post. :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Misaligned die. That is why the reverse pic was important. If both sides showed the same issue then it would have been an offcenter strike.

Not sure if any real value but I'd keep it if I found it.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

MADs are minor errors, but that's a nice one. I would consider it 2x2 worthy even if it doesn't carry much of a premium

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Thank you all for your help

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find. I agree with what the others posted about it being a misaligned die. Keep watching for more of those items!

----- kj
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1973 cent with misaligned obverse die, a little more extreme than that nickel but same concept

Collector, occasional seller

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, this is why I have a binder filled with minor errors. They're just interesting to find and learn how they happen. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52