Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A White Whale Story: The First Complete PSA Set of 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 20, 2019 1:10PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

While last weeks thread was anti climactic, it almost had to be. I spoke no lies then just as I will speak none now. I was not the winning bidder last week, fellow collectors, but there is more than one way to hunt. I racked my brain wondering why a card seemingly of interest to me alone would be soaring. I caught a bad vibe - despite the seller seemingly like a really good guy on the phone and over messages - and got cold feet. But I couldn’t stop clicking back and trying to figure it out; why, dammit, why! Then a memory hit me like a wife that has caught her drunk husband eating a turkey leg before it’s served at a family Thanksgiving dinner; I remembered that I had issued a card bounty to a few folks whom I thought I could trust. After sifting through who seemed most likely to help in my scattered and gray mattered brain, I reached out to that friend, whom I’d made exclusively through collecting. We’ve actually never met face to face. Sure enough, he told me he’d seen it and was on it. So, I figured that with him (and his bidding style) I was in good hands and told him to ‘win the card’ at all costs with the caveat that we may need to trade depending on where it goes, price wise. As such, it went well, I squared quickly and today, on the third day of September two thousand and nineteen, a great and mighty quest has ended and a mighty whale has seen its end after a long glorious battle. In the end, it did not take me with it and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

So without further ado, it is my great pleasure to present to you for your viewing pleasure a rare and unique card and it’s place within a rare and beautiful, complete set.

1951 Wheaties Premium Photos Jack Kramer L

In addition, here are the three really fun ‘set’ photos. The last one is to tide me over until I can get Mr. Kramer in a PSA slab. (Still, I thought it pretty good trickery on my part.)

UPDATE: No more trickery...

Lastly, I know many were following along in this journey; I appreciate it tremendously - the offered assistance, the shared similar stories and the general excellence of the posters and mods here on the Collectors Universe forums. Your messages publicly and privately have made this voyage even more memorable.

While the quest for set completion now comes to an end, the quest for information will continue in perpetuity until such time as I am satisfied that I have learned all there is to know about this enigmatic masterpiece of a set.

Thank you all and God bless.

Happy collecting!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments